Best single dose grinder under $1000 budget?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
yalag

#1: Post by yalag »

Hi I'm looking to upgrade from a built in grinder on the Breville machines. I have a budget of a $1000 and I wanted a single dose option because I'm thinking maybe I want to try different beans frequently and a single dose allow me to change without worrying about retention too much. But maybe that thinking is wrong, not sure.

I only brew espresso so far, but if the grinder is half decent with other brew methods that would a great bonus.

I'm mostly drinking the espresso with milk mixes, and prefer the espresso to be on the sweet side even when drinking it without milk.

mmntip

#2: Post by mmntip »

Niche Zero for conical, DF64 for flat. In my experience Eureka doesn't come close in usability (that tiny wheel is terrible).

Advertisement
michang5

#3: Post by michang5 replying to mmntip »

X2.

Owning both... Go with the Niche if you want open the box, plug it in and mostly not think about the grinder again. Go with the DF64 if you like to mod and tinker to get to most of your equipment.

yalag (original poster)

#4: Post by yalag (original poster) »

I don't think I can get either from Canada?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing replying to yalag »

Niche you order from their website. DF-64 in Canada is sold by CoffeeAddicts. (I've done business with them before. Great customer service.)
https://coffeeaddicts.ca/products/df64- ... ee-grinder

Note also SSP burrs are listed for sale at the bottom of that page.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

yalag (original poster)

#6: Post by yalag (original poster) replying to baldheadracing »

It says preorder I guess I should contact them what that means

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

It's the "new thing" with grinders. You can't buy the ones that many desire off the shelf. Either you got a tiny window of availability (minutes) when orders next open up and then can wait months for the grinder, or you preorder and can wait months for the grinder.

Advertisement
maxbmello

#8: Post by maxbmello »

Looks like there are 2 niche zeros for sale right now in this forum. Maybe reach out and see if they will ship to Canada?

I have no relationship with either seller - just noticed it and could provide a quick solution for you if you decide to go with a niche.

Fwiw I have one as well and like it. However If you want to save some money, a quality hand grinder is also single dose and about equal quality with a niche. You could buy a nice hand grinder AND a DF64 for under $1,000 and that way you get both conical and flat options.

If hand cranking isn't your thing and you only had to choose 1, I would go niche just bc it is a more refined product that doesn't require tinkering and mods (just my preference)

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

yalag wrote:It says preorder I guess I should contact them what that means
They opened the pre-order months ago. If you read the description, then they say that the grinders have landed and are now with CBSA in the port of Vancouver. That's why there are only pink and lime green left that you can pre-order from the shipment.

The colour is just a simple wrap of the cylinder so you can easily paint or wrap or dip whatever you want.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

yalag (original poster)

#10: Post by yalag (original poster) »

maxbmello wrote:Looks like there are 2 niche zeros for sale right now in this forum. Maybe reach out and see if they will ship to Canada?

I have no relationship with either seller - just noticed it and could provide a quick solution for you if you decide to go with a niche.

Fwiw I have one as well and like it. However If you want to save some money, a quality hand grinder is also single dose and about equal quality with a niche. You could buy a nice hand grinder AND a DF64 for under $1,000 and that way you get both conical and flat options.

If hand cranking isn't your thing and you only had to choose 1, I would go niche just bc it is a more refined product that doesn't require tinkering and mods (just my preference)
Where are the 2?