Best non-espresso grinder under $1000 USD? Niche Zero, Baratza Forte BG, HG-1?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
chibitimwin

#1: Post by chibitimwin »

I am looking to upgrade from my Knock Feldgrind; usage will be for single serving pour over brews using V60 and Kalita Wave. I am fine with hand grinding, just looking for more clarity in the cup. From my research, the grinders suggested <$1000 include the Baratza Forte BG (steel burrs), Vario with steel burrs, Bunnzilla, Lyn Weber HG-1, and Niche Zero. Among these, many have suggested the Forte BG is noticeably better than the Vario, and IMO the Bunnzilla is an eyesore. That narrows my selection to the Forte BG, HG-1, and Niche Zero.

Regarding the HG-1:
-Coming from the Feldgrind, I am fine with handgrinding. From the design (longer crank arm, more torque) I would expect grinding to be easier. However I have read accounts of dense, light roasts (which I buy frequently) still being a challenge to grind on the HG-1.
-What kind of surface/counter mount is needed to stabilize this grinder?

Regarding Niche Zero vs. Forte BG
-For my needs I personally I prefer the simpler aesthetic and functionality of the Niche Zero
-There is a lot of discussion regarding the Niche Zero as an espresso grinder, but feedback and comparisons as a brew grinder are lacking.

What are your thoughts on choosing among these grinders for pour overs? Is there a grinder I'm missing? Thanks in advance!

Capac

#2: Post by Capac »

Comandante C40 exceeded my expectations, coming from lido.

I thought I needed an ek, but c40 ended my search for a brew grinder.

Mrboots2u

#3: Post by Mrboots2u »

I find the brews made on my Niche comparable in the cup to the MBK feldgrind.
Unscientific and subjective, i would not say they are considerably better, but I didn't buy the niche just to be a better brewed grinder.
https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/wp-conten ... review.pdf
Page 9 - touches on brewed by Mark - Mark really knows his stuff on brewed , so if you haven't worth a read.
I have another friend who has a forte for brewed only and swear buy it, but does not single dose it.

animus128

#4: Post by animus128 »

The Niche and HG-1 are really used best in the espresso range. I would guess that they offer no (or only a very slight) improvement over the Feldgrind. Concerning the small handgrinders the Commandante is usually regarded as the best one for brew.

I think in the sub $1000 range there are overall three categories of good brew options:
a) Vario with Steel burrs or Forte
b) Used commercial grinders like MK/Ditting Guatemala, Kenia, Tanzania or equivalents
c) Ghost burr grinders like the Apex, Fuji Royal or cheaper Chinese equivalents

Capac

#5: Post by Capac »

What kinda water are you using?

Brother_Bluto

#6: Post by Brother_Bluto »

Love my HG-1 for espresso, but don't think it would be a good option for non-espresso. Note that the grinding chamber holds around 20gr +/- of beans. To answer your question, it does need a sturdy counter surface to work off of and benefits with the use of Sorbothane pads or similar. The lighter the roast, the harder to crank. I am getting about 1gr per crank on mine after following the seasoning procedures.

I'd add the Baratza Virtuoso to your list.

chibitimwin (original poster)

#7: Post by chibitimwin (original poster) »

Thanks to all the replies so far.

Disappointing to hear that the Niche Zero may not yield appreciable benefits vs. my Feldgrind. Really wanted to like this grinder.

I didn't think the Comandante C40, or any portable hand grinder for that matter, would stand out among the rest in terms of grind quality. So the improvement seen from C40 vs. Lido is interesting.

I know the Forte BG is well regarded (most notably by Scott Rao) but I wish there is a comparison between the BG vs. more than just the Vario with steel burrs. Guess this stays for consideration.

The opinion of ghost burrs is so mixed I don't know what to believe! :?

guydebord

#8: Post by guydebord »

For electric, there is a new Eureka Mignon model with brew burrs. You might also want to take a look at that one. I am going to order the Brew burrs for my specialita (my SO uses it for FP) since the MC3 covers my needs.

https://www.eureka.co.it/en/catalogo/pr ... /1/24.aspx
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

[creative nickname]

#9: Post by [creative nickname] »

Search HB for "Bunnzilla," which you can assemble for under $1000. It will blow most of these options out of the water.

But among the options you listed, go with the Forte BG. The others have burrs that are optimized for espresso grinding, so they will produce a less even grind than is desirable for brewing purposes.

You might also consider the new Orphan Espresso Apex. I haven't tried it but reports from users are very promising.
LMWDP #435

Mrboots2u

#10: Post by Mrboots2u »

chibitimwin wrote:Thanks to all the replies so far.

Disappointing to hear that the Niche Zero may not yield appreciable benefits vs. my Feldgrind. Really wanted to like this grinder.

I didn't think the Comandante C40, or any portable hand grinder for that matter, would stand out among the rest in terms of grind quality. So the improvement seen from C40 vs. Lido is interesting.

I know the Forte BG is well regarded (most notably by Scott Rao) but I wish there is a comparison between the BG vs. more than just the Vario with steel burrs. Guess this stays for consideration.

The opinion of ghost burrs is so mixed I don't know what to believe! :?
Well I would hazard that the niche is being bought 90 percent by people who want a great espresso grinder and a good brewed grinder all in one. Not as a brewed grinder soley.
The fact it matches my mbk and has zero retention is good enough for me..wheras you are looking for a grinder with appreciable benefitsin the cup..
Again with a forte you would want not not be single Dosing it to get the best brewed from it IMHO.
The guy who makes the c40 claims its on par with an Ek43, that's the kind of hyperbole that is designed to get People to bite, one way or another.
People in general will tell you what they bought is gonna be amazing or game changing or the only thing you will ever need. I was honest and said its good at brewed.
I doubt anyone bought a hg1 solely for brewed either.