Best HX Espresso Machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
RHA95

#1: Post by RHA95 »

Hi Everyone,

Looking for advice on an HX machine. Currently have a barista pro and a niche zero but looking to upgrade. I was thinking Profitec 500 with flow control. However I'm not sure if at the rate I'm going I should go with a DB machine. Located in Canada so the Profitec is about 2800.

jgood

#2: Post by jgood »

Yes -- DB

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B!

Yes, the best HX is a DB :wink:

A PID controlling an HX's steam-boiler temperature doesn't do much for temperature control, no matter what the videos claim. (The MaraX controls the group temperature.) There are a few threads here discussing the challenges some owners have found with "no-flush" HX units that I think are worth reading if you do decide to go with something like the Profitec 500.

Many people find the Breville Dual Boiler (BDB) a great performer at a lower price.

Lots of choices!

What kinds of coffees are you thinking of using? Classic espresso roasts, lighter "drip" roasts?

Oskuk

#4: Post by Oskuk »

..and in the other hand: if possible not doing milk-drinks, what use is an dual boiler?
and what is the amount of doing coffes? If drinking 2 ristressos a day, it justa the habit and skill, not the machine.
One can do great shots wih a Europiccola, or as we know with a supermarketmachine like Breville.
But the "best hx" is perhaps some Simonellis Aurelia II ;-)

RHA95 (original poster)

#5: Post by RHA95 (original poster) »

I've thought about getting the Breville but my wonder is how long will it last?

MTN Gert

#6: Post by MTN Gert »

I would recommend a La Cimbali m21 junior casa HX because it is literally a commercial machine in a home friendly size. Group head bolted to boiler, rotary pump, pre infusion. Volumetric, plumb in, steam for days, quick access pannels, insulated boiler

If you do want to go down the dual boiler route I would encourage you to look into into La Spaziale Vivaldi ii / Lucca a53. Dual boiler, commercial company and build. Rotary pump, saturated group head, IMO best steam DB for thre money, Volumetric and very affordable

My opinion is that profitec makes some of the best home/prosumer machines but I still strongly prefer a more commercial machine after a very bad experience with parts and repair support of my Izzo and some similar issues reported on here with ECM / profitec.

If flow control is a top priority than i can understand the desire for a prosumer E61 machine.
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

Nurk2

#7: Post by Nurk2 »

RHA95 wrote:Hi Everyone,

Looking for advice on an HX machine. Currently have a barista pro and a niche zero but looking to upgrade. I was thinking Profitec 500 with flow control. However I'm not sure if at the rate I'm going I should go with a DB machine. Located in Canada so the Profitec is about 2800.
We love our Rocket Giotto V...but in the world of Home-Barista, that just makes us total morons.

We have no idea how bad we have it. We think we're making good espresso, but we could not possibly be. Ask anyone here. They'll tell you.

¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it sounds good, it is good
- Duke Ellington

Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

I made great shots with my Anita HX with medium-dark and darker beans.

My aversion to HX machines is that, at this time, when purchasing new, there are options out there at comparable or lower prices, that have better temperature stability without complex flush routines and monitoring as well as comparable extraction quality.

Purchasing a used HX changes the balance due to a price that is generally below that of other options that are comparable in the cup and for ease of use.

If you're pulling medium and lighter roasts, I found that variable preinfusion took a 50/50 proposition to having confidence that if I wasn't getting good shots, it was a coffee that wasn't suited for espresso. I also find that a declining-pressure profile during extraction can benefit many roast levels, adding just a little bit more magic into the cup. Regrettably, virtually all HX machines can support either group head temperature or pressure monitoring, but not both.

MTN Gert

#9: Post by MTN Gert »

Nurk2 wrote:We love our Rocket Giotto V...but in the world of Home-Barista, that just makes us total morons.

We have no idea how bad we have it. We think we're making good espresso, but we could not possibly be. Ask anyone here. They'll tell you.

¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
Hahahhahaha thank you for totally making my day. Thank you for putting things into perspective too. We have the luxury to nitpick all of these wonderful machines. Rocket may not be my personal favorite pick but I am truly glad you are enjoying it.
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

Nurk2

#10: Post by Nurk2 replying to MTN Gert »

Thanks! No exaggeration. We love our espresso machine...multiple times a day!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it sounds good, it is good
- Duke Ellington