Best HX Espresso Machine - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Chert

#21: Post by Chert »

LObin wrote:I beg to disagree. Heat exchanger is a proven design.
It has a few advantages over double boiler machines.

- Less expensive

- Consume less electricity (generally)

- Don't require a 20amp plug

- Less parts, less electronics, less failures

- Usually more compact

- Easier to work on (mechanically and more space inside the case)

- etc.

Of course, the Lelit Mara X has more electronics than most HX. It's also a design that prioritize brewing temperature vs steaming.

Similar list can be made to highlight the advantages of Double boilers over heat exchanger machines. Consistency and temperature stability being on top of that list. But discarding the HX design by saying it's outdated? Nah.

2 will drives automobiles aren't going anywhere even though all-wheel drive is taking a bigger part of the market every year.
On that point in bold, is not the thermoblock the least power avid design among plug in 'espresso machines'?
LMWDP #198

LObin

#22: Post by LObin replying to Chert »

My intention was not to compare HX to every other available design out there.

It was more to highlight a few reasons why someone may prefer an HX machine over a DB.
LMWDP #592

drH

#23: Post by drH »

+ 1 for the recommendation of the Maximatic if you can find one cheap. I love mine- very consistent with temperature, gorgeous, and built with excellent precision.

Also consider the Bezzera BZ10. A friend of mine got one and loves it: hot in 10 minutes and nice construction.

RHA95 (original poster)

#24: Post by RHA95 (original poster) »

I feel you on that one! I ended up with a Magister Stella with PID & Group Head Thermometer for about $1300 Canadian as it was open box. I walked in with Rocket on my mind and when I mentioned HB the guys response was "if you're purchasing this don't be posting it there". Safe to say that put me off right away lol!

LObin

#25: Post by LObin replying to RHA95 »

That's a sweet deal!
With a PID and a group thermometer, it won't be long till you master the beast. Congrats on your purchase!

Btw, I would do the exact opposite of what the seller said and start a thread (or post) about your impressions of the machine. Not a lot of talk about the Stella around here but hard to beat what'a inside the box at that price point.

Cheers!
LMWDP #592