Best home espresso grinder at any budget - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Kfir

#41: Post by Kfir »

jerbear00 wrote:I tried to answer my own question about retention below:

From member vernes:

Load 75g of coffee with a completely clean burr chamber & chute gives 70.7g out.
A second load of 75g gives 72.4g
A third load gives 72.0g

Compak K10 Fresh

By this logic I would think a quick pulse of 3-4gms prior to your first morning shot should clear out any stale coffee combined with a quick shoot sweep.
Sorry but I don't agree that is the case with fresh.

I currently own both (K10 PB and K10 fresh) and that "quick pulse" in the morning should be at least 3-3.5s if you want to get to the fresh coffee.
This applies when you are using it with a hopper full of beans.

If you are planning to do single dosing with it I'll say forget it because you can't bump and brush since you don't have convenient access to clean the chute and in order to clear most of the grinds inside you will need to leave the grinder on much longer.

The K10 fresh is good only when you need to make a lot of shots in a raw, if it's not the case then I highly recommend you to get the K10 PB or other dosered conical like the Robur.

As I written earlier if you still want a doserless conical get the Elektra Nino because of its lower retention figures (and appearance).

Kfir.

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#42: Post by Terranova »

pacificmanitou wrote:Conicals have even longer cutting surfaces, so they are the most effective at this.
Do you have a source for that statement, or is it your own experience ?

jerbear00 (original poster)

#43: Post by jerbear00 (original poster) »

Kfir wrote:Sorry but I don't agree that is the case with fresh.

I currently own both (K10 PB and K10 fresh) and that "quick pulse" in the morning should be at least 3-3.5s if you want to get to the fresh coffee.
This applies when you are using it with a hopper full of beans.

If you are planning to do single dosing with it I'll say forget it because you can't bump and brush since you don't have convenient access to clean the chute and in order to clear most of the grinds inside you will need to leave the grinder on much longer.

The K10 fresh is good only when you need to make a lot of shots in a raw, if it's not the case then I highly recommend you to get the K10 PB or other dosered conical like the Robur.

As I written earlier if you still want a doserless conical get the Elektra Nino because of its lower retention figures (and appearance).

Kfir.

Thank you! Well put just the answer I was looking for!!

pacificmanitou

#44: Post by pacificmanitou »

It's well documented through the trials here. One would also need only measure the cutting path of a conical. I have also seen it it be true in person.
LMWDP #366

Kfir

#45: Post by Kfir »

My pleasure Jeremy, good luck with your purchase.

Kfir.

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#46: Post by Terranova »

pacificmanitou wrote: One would also need only measure the cutting path of a conical.
That's what I did and this is the reason why I am asking.

83 Royal/Stark - 83 Robur

TomC
Team HB

#47: Post by TomC »

I think Brandon might be mistakenly measuring the whole burr path, including the area that just breaks the beans and feeds them into the finer grinding teeth. I believe Frank is correct in measuring the actual fine grinding distance.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

pacificmanitou

#48: Post by pacificmanitou »

Guilty. But would that not be part of the grind path itself? It does begins the process of grinding.
LMWDP #366

dustin360

#49: Post by dustin360 »

You would have to measure the point in the path where the beans start breaking, right? The only part(s) that matter, are the parts that are doing something. The "catching points" will change based on bean size to some degree(more so on conicals). But overall conicals should have more usable area.

TomC
Team HB

#50: Post by TomC »

I don't think you can correctly argue that a conical grinder "because of it's longer burr path" creates a more even grind. I'd say they are quite the opposite, conicals are more bimodal or even trimodal based on what I've observed and seen here in various micrograph studies. My cheap LPG flat burr grinder puts out a far more consistent and even grind than any conical I've used. It's more even than my big Ditting 1203, albeit, in a very narrow range.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/