Best grinder for manual brewing/pourover, budget under $1000

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jacksen

#1: Post by Jacksen »

HI, can someone recommend me an automatic grinder under 1000 usd for manual brew? Thank you in advance!

maxbmello

#2: Post by maxbmello »

Forte BG, bunnzilla, Fuji Royal, or a quality hand grinder would be my list. $1000 for a brew grinder budget is pretty high - do you have space for a bulk grinder? Lots of good options in that realm, but a little north of your budget (with the exception of bunnzilla).

Pequod

#3: Post by Pequod »

I recently posted a similar question and was recommended the Kinu M47. It's a hand grinder, not automatic, but super easy to use and produces an excellent grind for around $300.

amh0001

#4: Post by amh0001 »

Do you ever see yourself getting into espresso?

Jacksen (original poster)

#5: Post by Jacksen (original poster) »

maxbmello wrote:Forte BG, bunnzilla, Fuji Royal, or a quality hand grinder would be my list. $1000 for a brew grinder budget is pretty high - do you have space for a bulk grinder? Lots of good options in that realm, but a little north of your budget (with the exception of bunnzilla).

It is so unfortunate that, all the grinders mentioned are not available for sale in indonesia through distributors, i can only import them from overseas even so the spare parts are hard to find. I am open to bulk grinder as i have the intention to start selling cold brew in the future. Do you have other recommendations? Thanks alot!

#6: Post by Jacksen (original poster) »

Pequod wrote:I recently posted a similar question and was recommended the Kinu M47. It's a hand grinder, not automatic, but super easy to use and produces an excellent grind for around $300.

Is it easy to disassemble for washing of the burrs and then re-assemble after with the default and right alignment? I had thought of it fr travel use, was comparing kinu m47 to commandatE .

#7: Post by Jacksen (original poster) »

amh0001 wrote:Do you ever see yourself getting into espresso?
I already have

Pequod

#8: Post by Pequod »

Jacksen wrote:Is it easy to disassemble for washing of the burrs and then re-assemble after with the default and right alignment? I had thought of it fr travel use, was comparing kinu m47 to commandatE .
There's a YouTube video someone posted showing the disassembly process. Pretty easy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH4Dt4Z0_9I

Smarter folks than I can explain how it works, but Kinu grinders are supposedly self-aligning with very tight tolerances. There's good information in the long "new Kinu grinders" thread.

maxbmello

#9: Post by maxbmello »

If you are considering selling coffee in any commercial capacity, a bulk grinder needs to be solely what you are shopping for.

I love hand grinders, but they have a time and place. Grinding out 3-5 pounds for cold brew batches is not one of them. Look for a gently used grindmaster, bunn, etc. not sure about your location, but they can be found for ~$200usd around here if you shop around.

a_carkhuff

#10: Post by a_carkhuff »

Best automatic grinder under $1000 seems to be the Baratza Forte. But of course if you're willing to grind manually, you can get pretty darn good results out of the high-end manual grinders and save yourself a good bit of coin.