Best grinder for home espresso

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Katrinagrace__

#1: Post by Katrinagrace__ »

Looking to find a good grinder at a decent price for my home coffee set up. I'm brewing on an Astoria semi-commerical and what a grinder that will be able to match it's capabilities. From experience, what's the best grinder to use at home for espresso?

maki

#2: Post by maki »

i really like Baratza Sette 270 for its single-dose capability and taste in cup.
LMWDP #630

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

Best grinder for home espressos
That's an impossible question to answer. We need to know your budget, your work flow, the number and type of drinks and so on to be able to comment with any rigour. Without such information you'll just elicit "fanboy" responses. I, for example, really like my Sette 270Wi; I could stop there and you'd be none the wiser. What I value is the result in the cup, the work flow (straight into the PF without pre-weighing, and the low retention. I don't like the noise, but an sort of used to it and it is so fast it does not last long. I also like that it has a hopper, which is great when we have company. Others will cite the niche grinder, the latest darling of the lower to mid range espresso grinders. It arguably has even less retention and some say is better in the cup. There's not weighing feature nor direct dispensing into the PF. But, if your volume at home is high, maybe a doser grinder is better for you. And so on...

Elliot

#4: Post by Elliot »

Budget really is everything here.
If a non-factor, I don't think you can really do much better than a Monolith from Kafatek. Those also assume a single-dose workflow, which I happen to like. At a more "reasonable" price point, the Niche Zero is lovely. Again, single dose, which is my preference.

thuegli

#5: Post by thuegli »

You ask for the best but also reasonably priced.

The best, IMO, is the Kafatek Monolith Flat. Simply put it's amazing. An engineering masterpiece. Many people prefer the conical, which is also amazing. But you pay an extreme premium for a highly engineered grinder, fabricated and put together in Seattle.

If you are looking for the best at a price range of $200-$500, you will have lots of options and opinions.

I also have a Baratza Vario for which is great for the price.

forbeskm

#6: Post by forbeskm »

Lido and Pharos, sub. 200 and sub 400. Great hand grinders that out do much pricier and louder electrics. They are other hand grinders as well.

Check out the grinder forum and its faqs and posts. FAQs and Favorites

Almost every possible thing about a grinder has been discussed in detail here. As said earlier, budget, type of coffee to be regularly ground, how many per sitting, etc.

thoang77

#7: Post by thoang77 »

As everyone has mentioned, budget and general desires are mandatory. Everyone's idea of affordable/decent is different. To some, $1200 for an Atom 75 is affordable when compared to a Kafatek Monolith ($2000-$2500) or a Mahlkonig Peak ($2400). On the other hand, a Niche is considerably cheaper at $600 but that could still be steep for you or perhaps it doesn't fit into your desired workflow or aesthetics.

BaristaBob

#8: Post by BaristaBob »

Best...any of the Monoliths...flat, conical, or max. You will one day end up here, so buy a cheap Sette 270 or decent hand grinder for now, save up every penny, and then spring for a Monolith. Then, you are set for life. Of course this is just my opinion, however it's based on experience. 8)
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

chipman

#9: Post by chipman replying to BaristaBob »

there are a few other grinders that are every bit as good as the Monoliths. And the best part is that you don't have to split the Red Sea in order to purchase.

DJL

#10: Post by DJL »