Best grinder for home espresso - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Ursego

#21: Post by Ursego »

Katrinagrace__ wrote:Looking to find a good grinder at a decent price for my home coffee set up. I'm brewing on an Astoria semi-commerical and what a grinder that will be able to match it's capabilities. From experience, what's the best grinder to use at home for espresso?
For single-dosing (espresso) I recommend a grinder with CONICAL burrs (it's much easier to dial in - in contrast to flat burrs), and with infinite (stepless) grind size setting. Conical grinders are very forgiving - even if the grind and the taste are not ideal, they are usually not too bad (in contrast to flat where a small mistake in grind size results in an undrinkable liquid) - there is no such thing as "sink shot" with conicals. Consider those (just in that order): Niche Zero (63 mm Mazzer burrs) [the absolute winner - I bought it after many-many months of research, and I am so happy now!], Quamar Q13 Coni Drogheria (71 mm - the burrs are larger, but I am in doubt if it's better than Niche Zero in single-dosing), Bezzera BB005 (48 mm), QuickMILL 060 EVO (43 mm). Also, the following models can be considered (they are cheaper, but have smaller, 38 mm, burrs): Ascaso i2, Lelit Micro Metric Fred, La Forza F19MM, GRAEF CM 702, Isomac. Unfortunately, Baratza Sette 270 not in the list because it's too loud. I came to a store to buy it, heard how it worked, and left the store with empty hands - I couldn't imagine that a grinder can be SO loud!!! Also, it looks super-cheap and not solid. If all these are not problems for you, then Baratza Sette 270 is a very good choice - it is very fast, has perfect single-dosing features, and produces excellent fluffy grinds (but, as one serious user of the Home Barista forum said, "The Sette is a fun and forgiving entry level grinder, but it isn't close to the Niche"). If you decide to buy Sette, don't take a version with a scale (270W or 270Wi) - according to the single-dosing religion, the beans for one shot are weighted before they are loaded the grinder.

ballison78

#22: Post by ballison78 »

I will second the Specialita! Love mine. So quiet.

leonelbego

#23: Post by leonelbego »

Ursego wrote:For single-dosing (espresso) I recommend a grinder with CONICAL burrs (it's much easier to dial in - in contrast to flat burrs), and with infinite (stepless) grind size setting. Conical grinders are very forgiving - even if the grind and the taste are not ideal, they are usually not too bad (in contrast to flat where a small mistake in grind size results in an undrinkable liquid) - there is no such thing as "sink shot" with conicals. Consider those (just in that order): Niche Zero (63 mm Mazzer burrs) [the absolute winner - I bought it after many-many months of research, and I am so happy now!], Quamar Q13 Coni Drogheria (71 mm - the burrs are larger, but I am in doubt if it's better than Niche Zero in single-dosing), Bezzera BB005 (48 mm), QuickMILL 060 EVO (43 mm). Also, the following models can be considered (they are cheaper, but have smaller, 38 mm, burrs): Ascaso i2, Lelit Micro Metric Fred, La Forza F19MM, GRAEF CM 702, Isomac. Unfortunately, Baratza Sette 270 not in the list because it's too loud. I came to a store to buy it, heard how it worked, and left the store with empty hands - I couldn't imagine that a grinder can be SO loud!!! Also, it looks super-cheap and not solid. If all these are not problems for you, then Baratza Sette 270 is a very good choice - it is very fast, has perfect single-dosing features, and produces excellent fluffy grinds (but, as one serious user of the Home Barista forum said, "The Sette is a fun and forgiving entry level grinder, but it isn't close to the Niche"). If you decide to buy Sette, don't take a version with a scale (270W or 270Wi) - according to the single-dosing religion, the beans for one shot are weighted before they are loaded the grinder.
Hi, would you kindly if you dont mind explaining a little further why do you think conicals are "much easier to dial in in contrast to flat burrs"? I own conical (NZ) and flat (Ceado E37SD) and I dont think Conicals are much easier to dial in. there are quite a few factors that makes dialing in challenging, not only the burrs, for example, the type of beans, how old the beans are, humidity, your machine stability and so on....

also, I dont think the type of burrs makes the espresso shot "more forgiven", I think the beans you are using is what it makes it forgiven, fro example, using dark roast or medium-dark roast beans makes the end result much more forgiven than a light roast independently of your grinder and type of burrs.

Please do not misunderstand my comment, is just my personal opinion based on my personal experienced and we are all here to learn :) therefore I am very interested to hear why you think that way.

PS: most likely next week my Monolith Conical MC3 is due to arrive, and cant wait to test it side by side to my Niche.

Thanks and regards,
Leo

Ursego

#24: Post by Ursego »

leonelbego wrote:Hi, would you kindly if you dont mind explaining a little further why do you think conicals are "much easier to dial in in contrast to flat burrs"?
It's not "I think" - its my own experience, plus a lot of example in the Internet (just google: https://www.google.com/search?q=conical+burr+grinders+are+more+forgiving+than+flat).

Your Ceado E37SD is a different ligue. Not many people (including me) can afford it, so my comment was about "regular-price" grinders. :lol:

Bica60s

#25: Post by Bica60s »

Having spent ages recently looking at and evaluating grinders of all sizes and shapes, one stood out for me as providing superb VFM and good build quality with all the features you could want and consistent performance. It's the Sage/Breville Grinder Pro.

Conical burrs, with the top one easily removable for cleaning, a great LCD easy to read display and two programmes, one for either single or double shot. I think that it can be programmed for various grind sizes so you can match your batch of beans to each programme too which is a great feature (I haven't used this though). What I really like is that it has a shed-load of grind size options that comes up clearly on the scale when dialled in, the scale itself showing both the grind suitability (eg filter, espresso etc) and grind size. Espresso alone has 32 step options! The reality is that they provide stepless adjustment, the steps just being a function of the adjuster (which in this case feels solid and precise as well as smooth to use).

It is easy to use and you can either grind into the supplied grounds plastic tin with sealed lid (supplied) or use one of two cradles and grind direct to your portafilter basket.

Its also pretty quiet in use and grinds at 450rpm (max) so won't heat up the grounds like a blade grinder. It uses conical burrs, and grinds consistently and runs cooler than flat burrs.

People I think are making far too much out of what is a simple operation. It's just some grinders don't do this simple operation well or consistently and some do. Part of that is down to build quality and part to design. It doesn't have to cost the earth to get it right and there are loads of people shelling out hundreds when they don't really have to. There are some great, relatively inexpensive options available. The Sage Grinder Pro is one of them.

The best thing is the price. All this in a lovely stainless steel encapsulated build with top drawer build quality for just £135 (at least that's what I paid). Couldn't ask for more. You read about those who get really anal about comparing dosed measures for weight and want fractions of a gram accuracy (it's not as if they're loading powder for a firearm load for goodness sakes!) but the reality is even the most costly grinders will have some variation. I've not yet seen one that delivers to better than a gram accuracy between each grind, and you do pay way out of proportion I think to the tiny benefits offered when most times people judge by volume fill of a tamped load (at least I do as there are reference marks I use).

Highly recommended anyway.

InspectorGadget

#26: Post by InspectorGadget »

The different flavour profiles between my Robur and Mignon Specialita are huge.

I would definitely consider this before buying.

Joshfilm

#27: Post by Joshfilm »

If you want to be amongst the first to try what's, you might consider the Option-O Lagom, discussed here:

[url=/grinders/lagom-p64-flat-option-o-t60117.html]Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O)[/url]

I think these companies who are trying to contribute quality products deserve support.

I own a helor stance motor, so admittedly a slight fanboy post, but very happy with build quality and service, extremely satisfied with what's in the cup, and happy to give them some props.

Support innovation and quality wherever you see it.

Josh

kevintran

#28: Post by kevintran »

I recommend Baratza Sette 270.
'I'm Kevin Tran, CEO of Bonjour Coffee.