Best espresso setup at approx same price point.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Magisk

#1: Post by Magisk »

Dear all,

First time poster, long time reader. I am looking into getting my first "real" espresso set-up and have joyfully spent countless hours reading way to much and watched way to many reviews on youtube.

Smallest problem first:
In my country the price points of the Lelit Elizabeth and the Lelit Mara-X is the same. I am very much in love with the Mara-X but the engineer in me tells me the Elizabeth is the better buy?

Now to the real conundrum, grinders:
I, like many others, have fallen in love with the Niche Zero. However getting it would be around 700 USD. At this price point i now have the following options:

Eureka Atom Specialty 65 at 720 USD
Mahlkönig X54 at 610 USD
Eureka Mignon Single Dose at 680 USD
DF64 gen 2 at 550 USD

I feel that simplicity of workflow would be important to me as i am a Newbie.

Please let me hear your recommendations and thoughts on what to choose and why.

Thank you in advance.

Primacog

#2: Post by Primacog »

Personally I think the df64 (gen 1) with ssp burrs is hard to beat at its price point.
LMWDP #729

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

The Niche Zero has great workflow. Its burrs are best for traditional espresso and can be a challenge with medium-light and lighter roasts.

None of the Eureka grinders or the X54 work well as single-dosing grinders.

If a P64 or perhaps Zerno are out of budget, I'd look at the newer DF64 with SSP or Option-O burrs of your choice.

Magisk (original poster)

#4: Post by Magisk (original poster) »

Cool, thank you for the advice. Grind quality wise is the mahlkonig and the Eureka better than the DF64?

And what are your thoughts on Mara vs Elizabeth as most newbie friendly? :)

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

I enjoy the result in the cup from the SSP 64 Cast v2 or 64 MP or the Option-O 64 Mizen burrs more than the Eureka or X54 burrs. I prefer light-roast coffees, such as Tim Wendelboe and lighter, and do not mind well-balanced acidity in my espresso. Someone who primarily enjoys traditional, darker, syrupy espresso might have a different opinion.

The Mara X is a very friendly machine and, from what I understand, is even more attractively priced in Europe. People have added a flow kit to them. The downside of an E61-style machine is a relatively long heat-up. The Mara X might cut that to 20 minutes or so. The Elizabeth I believe is a bit faster to heat up. There isn't an easy flow kit for the Elizabeth, if you decide you want to explore extraction profiling.

Primacog

#6: Post by Primacog »

when it comes to just taste, the df64 equipped with the ssp burrs of one's choice should do better for lighter roasts than the traditional espresso oriented burrs.
LMWDP #729