Best espresso machine for light roasts? - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
beanEFIL (original poster)

#31: Post by beanEFIL (original poster) »

I chose the Decent after all.

Pro.
I only make a couple shots a day... so I had no need for a workhorse.
And, seeing as I'll barely use the steam... didn't need the XL wand either.
I like the small footprint too.
It will fit perfectly in my "coffee counter"... the highlight of my kitchen of course:)

Got the preeeeetty natural wood handles... also got the spouted PF just so I have it... and the angled power cable...
While more accessories look "cool"... I'll stick with my current setup... for now at least...

On that note... while I await it's arrival... my "homework" to prep is to "have everything ready to go"... as you may recall... I want to be a good host:)
That said... I'm trying to find the "ideal water recipe"... so I can get the supplies I need... and have that all setup...
Essentially I'm in "prep mode"... which is where I go whilst expecting a new arrival... from a TV to a computer to a new MIDI instrument pack... I like to be PREPARED! So... I'm watching videos... reading... studying. No need to wait until it gets here to "get to know it" and "how best to use/care for it".
(Why does it feel weird saying "it"?? In some bizarre way... I feel like "it" should have a name! hahahaha TBD.....)

Well... anyone wants to let me in on the water intel... I'm all ears... otherwise... I'll do what I should be doing anyways... and trying to find out as much as I can from all resources I can...

Oh... and I chose the Niche... for now. I'll also be getting the DF64... prob w/the SSP's... but I'm going to "get to know" mr. zero first (soooo hard for me not to make a Neitzsche reference but I'll refrain from geeking out haha) before proceeding with the "battle of the grinders" FUNTIME matchup!! (buy your tickets now they're going fast... in this corner........)

Side note: If it wasn't for the feedback I have received here on HB... I feel confident I would NOT have made the right decision(s). I did thorough research and pondering before deciding... and realizing the advice I have received HAS BEEN AMAZING... so much so I literally took it... that says a lot. So thank you yet AGAIN... to everyone reading this... that helped me along the way in this journey (just beginning!!!:)))

Cheers, L

luvmy40

#32: Post by luvmy40 »

There is a long thread on the easiest way to make "rpavlis" water, a recipe developed by a former member here. It is widely accepted as a good recipe for no scaling water. There is some debate on whether it is the best tasting water for espresso. I have been using it for a few years. I cant tast the difference between espresso made with the rpavlis water and espresso made from my tap water.

I get distilled water in 5 gallon carboys from a local wtaer treatment distributor. I pull a quart or so out and mix 2 grams of potasium bicarbonate and 2 grams of epsom salt in the quart and add it back to the carboy. I think the actual rpavlis recipe only uses the potasium bicarb. I keep the carboy in a crock dispenser next to my coffee station.

You can get the Potasium Bicarb from any wine maker supply distributor. I use LD Carlson brand.

Congratulations on the DE1! That would the only machine I would consider an upgrade from my BDB from a functional stand point.

beanEFIL (original poster)

#33: Post by beanEFIL (original poster) »

Thank you for the water intel!!!

I am going to try a few different options...
Sometimes I wonder... if I just like to torture myself by "making more tests"... ?? hahaha
All I know is... I've got my notes... and my chart... ready to fill with data... and compare/contrast... a few diff recipes...
I don't have much time because.....

MY MACHINE IS COMING TOMORROW!!!!

My assumption it would take a while to ship... out the window... along with any hopes of having my new grinders in time! hahahaha
My Niche won't ship until next month... ordered direct... seems best pricing that way...
Going to alter my "pause on Turin" plan if that can get here quicker...
No choice but to proceed with the Virtuoso in the meantime...

Well... I really can't believe it... I feel like I'm in a dream! My brain is going NUTS... will my speculative parameters be a train wreck... will I have the instincts I feel I do... what in the WORLD are these 4 roasts... under extracted on my cheapo... going to TASTE like mañana??!!!!!!!!!

Here I go... counting down the hours... is it Tues yet? Is it Tues yet......???.......