Best espresso machine for a church?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
soniar

#1: Post by soniar »

Hi everyone!
I'd love some advice on coffee machines for this situation!
It'll be used at a church, where it would make 50 coffees on a Sunday (hopefully the number would gradually increase!) and about 15 on a Tuesday. We currently have a UNIC Stella di Caffe 2 group machine, which worked fine until it had an issue which is not worth fixing (especially since parts are difficult to find in Australia!). Our budget is max $2000 AUD so second hand is what we're probably looking at. We don't mind having just 1 group, however if we need to make more coffees, we'd prefer the machine to be something more long term!

MTN Gert

#2: Post by MTN Gert »

Did you figure out what is wrong the the Unic group head with the error? It will be difficult to source a machine of that caliber for $2000aud that does not need some work too. I'm just curious if a fix would make more sense that starting over

If you are set on moving on from the Unic I would look for a used Simonelli Appia II, or a Cimbali m26 or similar.
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I agree with Dave, I would try to repair the Unic. Will it not work with either group? Perhaps if the problems were explained, someone on this site might be able to help you. Pictures are always helpful, if you can post them.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

tompoland

#4: Post by tompoland »

The breville dual boiler is a great option for that price bracket. Very reliable, easy to change temperature too. https://www.breville.com/us/en/products ... es920.html (USA site and US$). Units in top condition can be sourced second hand on gumtree and eBay for under AU$1,000.

Added after my original post: Re thinking this ... other members are quite right, a breville DB is not fit for purpose. Apologies, did not think this through :(

MTN Gert

#5: Post by MTN Gert »

tompoland wrote:The breville dual boiler is a great option for that price bracket. Very reliable, easy to change temperature too. https://www.breville.com/us/en/products ... es920.html (USA site and US$). Units in top condition can be sourced second hand on gumtree and eBay for under AU$1,000.

If this was for home use I could see the merrit of a BDB but for a 50 plus drink per day with room to grow a BDB isn't designed for that use. 3 of my customers thought a BDB would be a good choice for lower volume Cafe use and all 3 were shopping for new machines within months(I guess 1 was an Orical). I see a lot of machines from the 90s and 2000s that are HX Simonelli, LSM, Astoria, LM, LC, Fatma all still running today
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

redbone
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by redbone »

I'd lean towards a office Super Auto unless you want to spend hours prepping, cleaning and maintaining or a commercial like a Bunn drip and grinder.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

The OP is in Australia so I presume coffee means espresso in this case.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
slipchuck

#8: Post by slipchuck »

Definitely not a bdb
Not built for that many drinks
A li cimbali Jr used might foot your bill

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

MNate
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by MNate »

I'm just curious as to how you've managed an espresso machine at church to date. I'm jealous of Australia- likely a few more experienced baristas on hand and a crowd who prefer a flat white to a venti caramel macchiato.

Fixing would be great. Otherwise maybe you are one of the few that could take advantage of a COVID closure. Maybe someone would even search some listings for you in your area... that's always fun.