Best Espresso Grinders, Budget $3K-$5K

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
whatdisay
Supporter ★

#1: Post by whatdisay »

Only care about espresso quality, single dose.

EG-1, Ceado, what else?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

LeverCraft Ultra, Bentwood, P100, P01, EK43, Titus, Versalab, Kafatek, ...

Ceado, in my opinion, isn't in that class.

Ben Z.

#3: Post by Ben Z. »

Is levercraft still in business?

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

LeverCraft is still in business, though Zhang is no longer supplying grinders outside of China. If you can find one used, they are great grinders. The Zhang grinder does not have the significant improvements that Eric and Jake supplied with the LCU.

H2c4

#5: Post by H2c4 »

Kafatek max 2
Versalab
Titus nimbus or nautilus

Coffeechiro

#6: Post by Coffeechiro »

Light beans: max 2, P-01, Versalab.
Medium to dark beans: Kafatek MC6.

erik82

#7: Post by erik82 »

There's no one best grinder in that category. It all depends on your roast level and origin preference. If you come up with only this question than you need to do more homework. In this class you should already have narrowed it down for yourself to 1-3 grinders or else you're going to buy the wrong grinder.

another_jim
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim »

I'm testing some grinders now, including the Lagom 01, that have a good deal of design and workmanship dedicated to switching very easily between brewing and espresso -- superb at both ends, no sacrificial grinding required, no rejiggering the grind, etc, etc. That's really great for me, but not what the OP wants.

Oddly enough, for espresso only, the best design I've run into is the LM Pico, since it switches easily between single dosing and on demand grinding. The burrs are excellent for anything except very light roasts (don't let the similarity to the Sette fool you, they are a very different animal), but they are not at the price doesn't matter, state of the art level of excellence.

Given these considerations; I don't know of any super high end grinder that is specfically designed for what the OP wants. The closest may be Mahlkonig or Compak with the 80mm burrs flat sets; but I have no experience with these.
Jim Schulman

Arafel

#9: Post by Arafel »

Kafatek. Max2 for mainly light to medium, Flat Max and/ or MC6 for medium to dark

Primacog

#10: Post by Primacog »

another_jim wrote:Oddly enough, for espresso only, the best design I've run into is the LM Pico, since it switches easily between single dosing and on demand grinding. The burrs are excellent for anything except very light roasts (don't let the similarity to the Sette fool you, they are a very different animal), but they are not at the price doesn't matter, state of the art level of excellence.
another_jim, can I ask for your clarification of what you meant when you said that the pico is excellent for anything except very light roasts. Would the pico still be able to grind very light roasts without stalling? Also what about light roasts and Medium roasts - is the pico more better suited for traditional profile espresso?

Also you said that the pico is not "...at the price doesn't matter, state of the art level of excellence". Do u mean that the pico isn't as good at grinding for espresso as grinders that are generally regarded as the titan grinders of this time like the monolith flat max or the lagom 01 or the eg-1 or the Titus nautilus?

Is the conical burr of the pico not as capable as providing flavour differentiation vs for instance ssp flat burrs or the lagom mizen burrs?
LMWDP #729