Best Espresso Grinders, Budget $3K-$5K - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
coffeeyoutoo

#11: Post by coffeeyoutoo »

The best espresso grinder for me
mythos 1 and NEW mythos MY75
I am using synesso and mythos1 & mythos my75 in my cafe
It has a wide range of suitability from extreme light roast to medium-dark roast.
The ground powder comes out evenly without clumping.
I work at a cafe and don't use distribution tools.
Mythos does not require a distribution tool because the grinding powder does not clump up.
mythos my75 has become more convenient to clean
The Clima Pro function is more sophisticated and operates at a set temperature.
When it is burdensome to increase the temperature of the espresso machine's extraction boiler, you can achieve higher extraction yield by using Clima Pro.

another_jim
Team HB

#12: Post by another_jim »

Primacog wrote:another_jim, can I ask for your clarification of what you meant when you said that the pico is excellent for anything except very light roasts. Would the pico still be able to grind very light roasts without stalling? Also what about light roasts and Medium roasts - is the pico more better suited for traditional profile espresso?
I make tradtionally dosed singles and doubles, and for these the whole bit about conical grinders being worse than flats for very light roasts doesn't apply. I can get fairly tasty shots with any roast using Pico or any other good conical. However, if you center yourself on the coffee itself, alwasy asking what method is best for this particular bag of coffee, then for very light roasts, the answer is usually not espresso.

The only exception I've had is when using very large flat burrr grinders like the 98mm Mizen, where you can sometimes find a sweet spot for espresso that rivals or exceeds the brew. No Robur or Niche or Pico will give you that. I have no experience with 80mm grinders, but it is said they can do this too. I've had some thick and enjoyable shots from very light roasts made with 64mm and 83mm flats, but they usually miss the flavor details.

In any case, if you are looking for the ultimate espresso-only grinder, you are focusing on a very narrow grind range; but you want to be able to grind no fuss into the PF, and switch between single dosing and on demand grinding. So far, at the very high range I see espresso only, on-demand only grinders designed for shops, and full grind range range, single dosing grinders designed for hobbyists.
Jim Schulman

Primacog

#13: Post by Primacog »

Thanks for the informative reply.
LMWDP #729

whatdisay (original poster)
Supporter ★

#14: Post by whatdisay (original poster) »

erik82 wrote:There's no one best grinder in that category. It all depends on your roast level and origin preference. If you come up with only this question than you need to do more homework. In this class you should already have narrowed it down for yourself to 1-3 grinders or else you're going to buy the wrong grinder.
Understood, but that's why I specified "grinders" plural. I just wanted to make sure I became aware of all the good options in that price range.

I have ordered a Lagom 01. Will be very interesting to compare it to my P64.

erik82

#15: Post by erik82 »

Great choice. It'll be a massive upgrade in terms of taste for both espresso and pourover.

Capuchin Monk

#16: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Anyone feel that Lagom 01 spin noise level is bit too high for a grinder of this price range? :?

Finley72
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by Finley72 »

When first received the 01 it was definitely "louder" after having Kafatek grinders for the last couple years. However, my previous EG1 was high pitched as well. I'm used to the 01 sound and for me the workflow and Mizens are more than worth the noise. 8)