Best brew grinder in 2021? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TomC
Team HB

#21: Post by TomC »

ira wrote:My sense of taste is not that good and since COVID and all the stresses that came with running a thriving business down 5 employees, I always make coffee but sometimes forget to think about it. A few weeks back my brother-in-law was over and said the coffee I served him was bitter. At that point I was using my Ode set to about 1, since then I've been going between my 3 brew grinders trying to solve the problem. So far I think the Ode still wins but is still a bit annoying to use.\

Ira

I'm a beta-tester now for the new Ode prototype burr. I'm literally just getting started with it and don't have a framework to make any judgements yet, but I'll mention that I'm grinding at 6.5 - 6.75 and occasionally 7 and getting my normal/expected draw down times on my Technivorm at work.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Auctor (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#22: Post by Auctor (original poster) »

I watched this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D-eq_BvXBo) from OE that described the workflow of the Apex, and one thing concerned me: they suggested either drilling the grinder into the counter to handle light roasts. Coming off the HG-1, I have serious concerns about grinder stability with light roasts (the HG-1 was *okay*, but light roasts at an espresso grind were not even remotely fun).

Given this is for brew, any concerns about light or nordic roasts using a manual grinder like the Apex? Can i simply set it on my counter and grind, or would I be required to stabilize the grinder in some way?

Based on the feedback given here, my short list is: Apex, Forte, and "well aligned big burr" (e.g. Titus, P100, Max). Leaning toward the Apex to get into the game with a high quality, value-based product and later explore how the SSP Brew and Shuriken Brew compare with each other next year.
TomC wrote:I'm a beta-tester now for the new Ode prototype burr. I'm literally just getting started with it and don't have a framework to make any judgements yet, but I'll mention that I'm grinding at 6.5 - 6.75 and occasionally 7 and getting my normal/expected draw down times on my Technivorm at work.
TomC, is there an ETA on the delivery of the new burrs from Fellow? This might change my decision-set altogether.

Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by Shawnaks5 »

TomC wrote: I'm a beta-tester now for the new Ode prototype burr. I'm literally just getting started with it and don't have a framework to make any judgements yet, but I'll mention that I'm grinding at 6.5 - 6.75 and occasionally 7 and getting my normal/expected draw down times on my Technivorm at work.
That's great to hear! I'm using the Ode for my work grinder too. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a set.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by baldheadracing »

The Apex pretty much has to be clamped/bolted/etc.

I'm sure that any possible question or concern that you have about the Apex has been addressed in the Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder thread.

Auctor (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#25: Post by Auctor (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:I'm sure that any possible question or concern that you have about the Apex has been addressed in the Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder thread.
Thanks. Bolting or clamping is a deal breaker for me. Ugh. :?

ira
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by ira »

Many of us just attached the Apex to a a piece of wood and set that on the counter on top of something non-slip, works just fine. Just makes it harder to store.

Ira

Auctor (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#27: Post by Auctor (original poster) »

txxt wrote:The encore and virtuoso are very close. The forte blows both away as I prefer flat burrs and flavor clarity. The 804 improves on the Forte and adds more of the sweetness I endeavor to find in every cup. I think most would be extremely happy w the Forte. The steel burr model specifically.
Any thoughts about the newly announced Vario+, which can be installed with the steel burrs?

Jonk

#28: Post by Jonk »

Something I'm curious about is that the Forté and Vario spins at different RPMs without load - does this translate to any difference while in use with the pretty slow steel burrs? Any experience about this?

Eiern

#29: Post by Eiern »

Auctor wrote:Any thoughts about the newly announced Vario+, which can be installed with the steel burrs?
Based on a video I saw on it I thought the Vario+ came with the steel already? Or can one at least choose it?

Edit: Baratza product page says it comes with ceramic burrs and list steel as accessories sold seperately.

Tempuralt_Maki

#30: Post by Tempuralt_Maki »

How would an Ode with SSP Brew burrs stack up with this list? I am thinking about getting that burr set for my Ode. Does anyone have experience with that?