Bentwood Vertical 63 vs. other

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Amos98

#1: Post by Amos98 »

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to the pull the trigger on a bentwood vertical 63 and was wondering if any current or past owners would like to share how they feel about it, for both espresso and filter coffee. I'm particularly interested in how it compares to other "endgame" grinders that you've had personal experience with (I've read a lot about the various grinders, but I haven't seen much from people who have personal experience with both the bentwood and other endgame grinders).

Also, does anyone have any idea how well the Bentwood would hold its value? I know the other high-end single dosing grinders have held their value extremely well, but these are much harder to find new than the bentwood, and also have fewer of the down sides associated with commercial grinders like the bentwood. I'm also a little concerned about the perceived inferiority of 63MM burrs (even if erroneous) should I ever wish to sell it.

Thanks everyone.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

I've never used one, but I was really surprised how big it was when I saw it at SCA. Somehow from the pictures I'd always guessed it was much smaller.

Amos98 (original poster)

#3: Post by Amos98 (original poster) replying to ira »

That's good to know, thanks. I've seen pictures of it next to a Decent DE1 and it looked large, but manageable. I should have enough space even if it's bigger than I expect.

Ad-85

#4: Post by Ad-85 »

I haven't seen a single review dissing this grinder! I was really interested in it but the size, fans and workflow isn't for me. I say go for it, especially if you plan on having 1 grinder for dual use (the grind size adjustment is far superior to any grinder I know).
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

Amos98 (original poster)

#5: Post by Amos98 (original poster) replying to Ad-85 »

I haven't seen any bad reviews either, glad to know you haven't either!

peterzentai

#6: Post by peterzentai »

Hi Amos98,
Did you actually get the Bentwood? I am in a similar situation as you described, considering to buy an 'endgame grinder', so if you did, I would be very interested to read your opinion about your experience.
Thanks in advance!
P.

Amos98 (original poster)

#7: Post by Amos98 (original poster) »

I love it. I've only been using it for espresso so far, but it does a great job. For what it's worth, I've been using Blue bottle Hayes Valley beans and I like my espresso better than what I get at a Blue Bottle cafe.

I haven't used any other "endgame" grinders, though, so I can't directly compare it. I strongly recommend getting the plastic blower that Lance Hedrick suggests. I didn't find his printed plastic attachment useful tho. I just remove the hopper, use clear plastic tape to cover the little hopper screw hole, put the blower directly on top, and I can easily clear out any grounds (rdt is definitely required). So while other grinders designed specifically for home use might have a simpler workflow, I don't mind because it makes great coffee. Let me know if you have any other questions.

peterzentai

#8: Post by peterzentai »

Thanks a lot for the fast feedback, glad that you are happy with the grinder!
What I find challenging to decide which grinder to get is the lack of opportunity to compare my current grinders (DF83, Breville SGP) to other alternatives. I've been using the Breville for 4 years now and it makes delicious, thick espresso. The DF83 I'm learning to use (received it a week ago) and I think it has potential. So just wondering if I could feel that massive difference in espresso quality with the Bentwood that most folks are talking about.
Regarding workflow, I found a guy on Etsy (CafeFabrique) who makes custom blowers that looks a bit better than the one used by Lance.
How do you find the fan noise? I heard the fans are always running when the grinder is on, do you find it disturbing in a home environment?

Amos98 (original poster)

#9: Post by Amos98 (original poster) »

Oh cool, I'll check out the Etsy dude. The only other grinder I've used was the Niche Zero, and while the Bentwood is definitely better I'm not sure I'd be able to distinguish the Bentwood from other high priced grinders. Also, I gravitate towards medium and medium-light roasts rather than light roasts, which may benefit more from the really big burr options.

atonik

#10: Post by atonik »

peterzentai wrote: How do you find the fan noise? I heard the fans are always running when the grinder is on, do you find it disturbing in a home environment?
Fan only tuns on on US version. in EU with 220v it will never turn on for home use. It's a great grinder for filter and espresso. It's a bit messy compared to Max/p100/niche workflow and yes, size-wise it's a beast. If you have space, and don't mind a bit of mess, for ~1800 eur it can hardly be beat unless you like profile of 64mm ssp.