Bentwood 63 or Lagom P64 or something else in Europe

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mipe

#1: Post by mipe »

Hi,
currently I own Niche Zero (for espresso) and Commandante C40 with red clix (for V60). I'm looking to buy a new grinder primary for espresso (planning to buy Ode Gen 2 for brewing when they are available in europe). I really like the workflow with NZ and the possibility to easily switch coffee as I usually have 3-5 different coffees at home. I use light roast coffee from roasters like Dak, Barn, Coffee Collective, TIm W. What I'm looking for is more clarity.

This weekend there is a 20% discount in one of the eshops in my country and I can buy the Bentwood Vertical 63mm for 2400 EUR (including tax and shipping). I read mostly positive feedback about it. I think the workflow would be pretty similar to NZ and I also like the ease of changing the grind size with BV63. I'm just not sure if it is suitable for light roast and also if there are any possibilities to change the burrs in the future as it use custom blind burrs. Also a little worried about the size of the grinder but I think it will be ok :).

The other candidate is Lagom P64. Which isn't as cheap in Europe as one might think. With shipping, tax and duties it will be between 2100-2200 EUR. The advantage is its size and the possibility to change burrs. But I would have to wait for it at least till the end of February.

Then there is also the discount on Ceado E37SD 83mm, which I can get for 2020 EUR. But have seen some mixed reviews/comments on it.

The other candidates would be cheaper grinder from china like DF64 or DF83. Which could be probably bought for under 1000 EUR but would have to deal with customs and I'm afraid that they won't end as my end game grinders.

All the other flat burrs SD grinders from US will be even much more expensive here in Europe: Lagom P100 (3300 EUR), Weber EG-1 (4400 EUR), Monolith Flat (3300 EUR).

Any advice to help my decide whether I should pull the trigger on BV63 or not would be welcome.

Advertisement
Bastian987

#2: Post by Bastian987 »

Just one small comment regarding the price of the P64 in Europe: I just ordered one (with SSP HU, silver) and paid 1800 Euro including shipping and tax. Not sure whether there is a difference from country to country though... or this option is cheaper than you think :wink:

mipe (original poster)

#3: Post by mipe (original poster) »

You're right, my bad. I've just checked their website. Black P64 with duty prepaid is 2005 USD which is 1843 EUR (I don't know why I was thinking that USD:EUR is still 1:1 like it was in September. Also the prepaid duty seems lower, than what I would get by dealing directly with DHL. I just noticed that they are aiming for mid/late April with their shipping.

Quester

#4: Post by Quester »

mipe wrote:I really like the workflow with NZ and the possibility to easily switch coffee as I usually have 3-5 different coffees at home. I use light roast coffee from roasters like Dak, Barn, Coffee Collective, TIm W. What I'm looking for is more clarity.
You are in for a pleasant surprise. I love using the Niche too, but the end product is so muddled. I can't speak to the Bentwood or Lagom, but let us know what you choose. I'm guessing you are going to be happy.

erik82

#5: Post by erik82 »

It depends on what you're looking for. Do you want an endgame grinder (80mm+ grinders) then look at Titus with 98mm flat burrs. The Bentwood or Lagom will be nice but still only 64mm burrs so yes they're good but not endgame. The Titus will be much more expensive so it also depends on your budget.

mipe (original poster)

#6: Post by mipe (original poster) »

Titus is over my budget. Just out of curiosity. Where would you buy it? I didn't find any shop/eshop selling it. Just a few articles and some threads on forums. I guess the price is around 6500.

erik82

#7: Post by erik82 »

Because you where looking specifically at something from Europe so then you only have Titus if you want an endgame grinder with flat burrs. That was the main reason. You can order it through Titus-grindng only which is in Germany. And in terms of quality it's the same as LWW or Kafatek.

He has quite a good reputation and makes great grinders. I thought the base Nautilus was around 3000-3500 euros but you can choose any option you want and make it as expensive as you'd like. Prices of over 10K are possible but it all depends on the amount of options, coatings etc. Or you can order an EK43 from him completely aligned with his own burr carrier which is also a great option. If you can get up to 4K then a endgame grinder from Europe should be possible.