Beginner With Espresso Machine Options - Page 2

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
LObin

#11: Post by LObin » Oct 07, 2019, 9:26 pm

fiechtl5 wrote:Thank you for your input. I have done some research and the support for the Zacconi doesn't seem to be very strong. Out of curiosity, why do you say the Robot is the best espresso option? in theory shouldn't the Robot and the Europiccola pull a similar shot if all else was equal (ratios, timing, proper grind, temperature) because they are both fully manual? I think I would be disappointed with the Silvia, but could be convinced otherwise. It will remain on the back burner.
Don't get me wrong, the LPE gets lots of praises for all sorts of good reasons. Actually, a lot of people claim to have had their best shots ever from these classic levers.
They do lots of things right. Consistency is not as easy as it is on most pump or commercial lever machines. Repeated shots are not its forte. Shot volume is more traditional.

The robot has a 58mm basket so it is possible to dose on the high side, which is practical for some "modern light roasts". There's a video of Paul Pratt dosing 21g and yielding 50g of espresso on a Robot. Temperature management is easier as they don't overheat. The pressure gauge of the Barista version is also a helpful tool for consistency.

Just to be clear, I'm no saying you should get a Robot over a LPE. Heck, both the Robot and a gen 1 Europiccola are on my "man I sooo want one of those!" list! :)

fiechtl5

#12: Post by fiechtl5 » Oct 08, 2019, 6:53 am

LObin wrote: Just to be clear, I'm no saying you should get a Robot over a LPE. Heck, both the Robot and a gen 1 Europiccola are on my "man I sooo want one of those!" list! :)
What I am hearing is that I need one of each! 8)