Beginner looking to upgrade espresso machine, budget about $1600 - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
redryder (original poster)

#11: Post by redryder (original poster) »

Moderator note: The following two posts merged in from the OP's additional thread on the same topic

I've had the Delonghi Dedica EC680 for 3 years now, it's my first espresso machine. I changed to an unpressurised filter basket early, and recently upgraded my grinder to a DF64.

Now I'm not sure if I should upgrade the Dedica itself. Will I see a big improvement in the quality of shots going from the Dedica to a $1500 prosumer machine?

I'm not unhappy with the quality of espresso I'm getting now, but I wonder what I'm missing. I don't want to have spent $1500 only to see marginal improvements. Can people who have upgraded chime in and share their experience?

Jeff
Team HB

#12: Post by Jeff »

If you're pulling classic espresso, you're unlikely to get the kind of change you got going from a pressurized basket to a standard basket with any machine upgrade. From there it is incremental in the cup, on average. You probably could gain a bit in variance, your worst shots won't be quite as "off". If you're happy with your espresso, I'd consider buying better beans as a way to noticeably improve (or at least change) its flavor.

Advertisement
kc2hje

#13: Post by kc2hje »

If your not looking for a double boiler why not a Silvia it's a solid machine and has a very long track record and parts are easy to get. I know the aesthetics are not the best but the coffee in the cup is outstanding.

Chris