Baratza Vario or Sette?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
baristanovizio

#1: Post by baristanovizio »

I need some advice. I need a new espresso dedicated grinder and I am stuck between the Vario and Sette. Not sure which to choose. Any recommendations would help.

I believe the Vario is more tried and true, while the Sette offers the newest technology but may not have its quirks worked out just yet.

I plan to pair the grinder with a Profitec Pro 500.

Thank you.

Headala

#2: Post by Headala »

baristanovizio wrote: I believe the Vario is more tried and true, while the Sette offers the newest technology but may not have its quirks worked out just yet.
You mentioned the most important issue there.

The burr geometry is different, so the taste will (allegedly) be different. That is a matter of personal preference. I owned both and can't say that one tastes better over the other.

I thoroughly enjoy the decreased workflow and complication of the Sette W (weight-based) vs. my old Vario (timer-based). There was also a Vario-W but I have no experience with it.

With the vario I had a dedicated mini scale that I put the basket and funnel on where the Vario's bin would go. I had a preset to get me mostly to the weight I desired, then a .5s preset to nudge it up to the exact weight. I then had to pull out the basket and stir it to break up the few clumps and get even distribution. Sometimes that didn't happen and I got uneven pours. Reliability-wise, I never had any problem with the Vario and mine was already second hand.

With the Sette W I just put the portafilter in and hit Play and it hits within .3g of the target weight every time. I don't have to stir the grounds or anything most of the time. Just tamp the volcano of grounds. Reliability-wise, some people have had issues, but who knows how many have not. I switched out a few parts for updated ones when they had issues, and finally had the whole grinder replaced a month ago. I bought the original one in November and it was the very first production run. I haven't spent a dime on parts or shipping; all have been covered by Baratza. But I also have a bunch of other grinders to go to if the Sette has problems.

Hope that helps.

Alan762

#3: Post by Alan762 »

Buy the Sette, it is the future. The only similar design is the Versalab $2,470.00.
It never gets easier, you just go faster. "Greg LeMond"

nautilus011

#4: Post by nautilus011 »

I have had a Baratza Vario. Have been happy with it since i bought it. consistent grinds, minimal clumping, minimal static. 10sec grind time for a double shot.

Now here is something too consider. I bought my Vario for 450USD, it was in Dec 2014. Now as of august 2017 it has given upp, we even tried to repair it but with no luck on that. So is 2½ - 3 years the time too expect a 450USD grinder too last? Or was i bad luck?? Hard to tell.
The ceramic burrs looks fine, not cracked, not vorned out.

OFF-topic
So now im looking to buy a new grinder. The million dollar question is now, should i buy a new Vario for 450USD and expect it to last up to 3 years. Or buy someting in the line of Rancilio Rocky (250USD) that i have no experience with.

slipchuck

#5: Post by slipchuck »

nautilus011 wrote:I have had a Baratza Vario. Have been happy with it since i bought it. consistent grinds, minimal clumping, minimal static. 10sec grind time for a double shot.

Now here is something too consider. I bought my Vario for 450USD, it was in Dec 2014. Now as of august 2017 it has given upp, we even tried to repair it but with no luck on that. So is 2½ - 3 years the time too expect a 450USD grinder too last? Or was i bad luck?? Hard to tell.

OFF-topic
So now im looking to buy a new grinder. The million dollar question is now, should i buy a new Vario for 450USD and expect it to last up to 3 years. Or buy someting in the line of Rancilio Rocky (250USD) that i have no experience with.
Have you considered the Bezzera BB005? It is a very good performer for its price and seems to be highly rated. According to what I read the return rate is 0.2%.
I am very happy with it

Good luck on your decision

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

nautilus011

#6: Post by nautilus011 »

No have not looked at that, spending time on coffee forums is mostly not good for my vallet. My eyes has caught the glimps of Quamar m80e, or Mazzer mini, around 700$ grinders.

ilVecchio
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by ilVecchio »

Why not consider the Baratza repair program? For $85.00 they'll make it like new.

mauijer

#8: Post by mauijer »

nautilus011 wrote:I have had a Baratza Vario. Have been happy with it since i bought it. consistent grinds, minimal clumping, minimal static. 10sec grind time for a double shot.

OFF-topic
I suspect you will be disappointed if you move from a Vario to a Rocky.

mauijer

#9: Post by mauijer »

baristanovizio wrote:I need some advice. I need a new espresso dedicated grinder and I am stuck between the Vario and Sette. Thank you.
They are both great grinders; I own the Vario-W and Sette-W. As others have commented the flavor may not be the dramatic a difference but the workflow is. I find myself changing back and forth between the two grinders to find which I prefer for a particular blend, and yet I inevitably end up back on the Sette-W due to convenience.

nautilus011

#10: Post by nautilus011 »

Yeah, after 1 week of reading reviews and forums about grinders i came to that conclusion also. So I went out on a limb and ordered a Quamar M80e, just have to hope and pray that it lasts longer than my Baratza. Two retailers said that they have had more customers with Baratza problems. I even asked the retailer what kind of grinder he would recommend for 700$ and Quamar was one of them.