Baratza Sette (base) vs. Kinu M47

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Davidm

Postby Davidm » Jul 12, 2018, 9:33 am

I am a newbie and my new espresso machine will be arriving about 3-4 months before I get a Monolith Flat. So I need a grinder for the interim. I will be single dosing so debating between the Sette and a manual grinder. Leaning towards the manual so that I will have a travel grinder when the flat comes in. Curious about others thoughts on the subject. Also, as a newbie, will a manual grinder slow my learning curve?

Capac

Postby Capac » Jul 12, 2018, 9:43 am

Get the manual. It will last for ever and you'll be able to take it with you.

appfrent

Postby appfrent » Jul 12, 2018, 10:42 am

Kinu M47. You can keep it for travel, backup or fun after you get Monoloth. It will definitely last lifetime. If all that does not interest you, go for used Sette or Vario.
Forget four M's, four S's are more important :-)- see, sniff, sip and savor....

Tonefish

Postby Tonefish » Jul 12, 2018, 2:26 pm

I'd recommend the Kinu M47 too. It will likely be around 70-90 revolutions per dose IIRC, but it is very easy to crank and will last you forever. It will also be decent for travel (assuming not backpacking) and won't affect your learning process in any negative way.

It is a great grinder!

The Sette would do the job well (that's what I chose while awaiting the Flat), but it isn't a travel grinder like a hand one would be, so it will only be a backup once the Flat arrives (already have the M47s too).
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

erik82

Postby erik82 » Jul 12, 2018, 2:44 pm

Take the Kinu M47. You can use it as a travel grinder and for the time it'll perform perfect for espresso. It's a great grinder that will last forever.

Davidm

Postby Davidm » Jul 12, 2018, 2:49 pm

Thanks to all the replies. Very helpful. kinu it is.