Baratza Sette 30 grinder for espresso

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
709espresso

#1: Post by 709espresso »

I know the Sette 30 is considered an entry level grinder, with not really the fine tuning capability that non-pressurized espresso requires, but anyone use one and find it just great for espresso? I'm having trouble justifying the additional cost of the Sette 270 and I know I can get the fine tune adjustment upgrade if I need it in future.

I'm actually pretty happy with the dirt cheap Capresso Infinity, but would like a straight through design with almost no retention, not just for freshness, but also for switching out beans. I would also like a digital timer that makes dosing a lot more accurate than the Capresso. I'm prepared to go to the Sette 270, but it's an extra $210CDN, and that seems like a bit of a rip off.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

I usually don't recommend the Sette 30 for espresso for the reasons you state. But, it would do if you're not fussy about timing. If you're the sort that wants to shoot for exactly 25 seconds for a shot, then you'll probably regret buying it. But, if anywhere from 20 to 30 seconds is "good enough" then it would probably work for you. Also, once you get it dialed in, you could up/down dose a bit if you do want to vary the shot time a bit. I have a manual backup grinder that has exactly the same issue. A click one way is a bit to fast and a click the other way is sometimes a bit too slow for my liking. But, it'll do until my primary espresso grinder gets back from the refurb shop.

709espresso (original poster)

#3: Post by 709espresso (original poster) »

Thanks. I don't know what my future as a barista holds. Well, actually I do. As a complete latte art failure, I'll never be a barista. No, but seriously, even though I have a little OCD, I'm not concerned about an exactly timed shot. I'd like to get consistent dosing, I have an adjustable tamper that ensures an even tamp. As I said, I understand that you can buy an upgrade - I think its just the bottom burr, for the Sette 270 and fit it to the Sette 30, so if I do get annoyed at the lack of fine adjustment, I can go that route and get the fine adjustment. My current grinder only has 16 grind settings and I suspect has a wider range from one end to the other than the Sette, and it does me okay with me using one notch for some coffee's and the next one for others. I suspect the simpler it is (ie, the smaller number of settings), the better. It will allow me to enjoy it rather than obsessing.

Is there anything else that rings alarm bells about the Sette?

ragdoll serenade

#4: Post by ragdoll serenade »

I bought a Sette 30 as my first espresso grinder. It does fine as long you are not too OCD about shot times. I started using my new espresso set up more than I thought I would when I bought and I did end up buying the 270 adjustment ring. It is not the whole lower burr, just the ring and even with that purchase I still have a grinder that is cheaper than the 270. Not as many timer presets but it is very easy to change the timer on the 30 and it's simple to manually time the grind if you need just a second or so. I have found the finer adjustment to be useful. The way the Sette grinds by time is very consistent (at least for me) and I do weigh the grounds from time to time and whenever I change beans to verify my timer preset is where I want. I'm quite satisfied with it.

#5: Post by 709espresso (original poster) »

Thanks. It's really useful to have an experience from someone who has it.

Bluenoser

#6: Post by Bluenoser »

I really like the updosing/down-dosing suggestion for using this grinder.

Don't use the timer, weigh the beans that you put in on a digital scale.. or use the timer but weigh the output to make sure you consistently get your desired gram dose. For instance.. you might use a 17g dose. Then if you find the espresso is a bit sour as it pours a bit too fast, then you can add 1 gram to the next dose. The scale will make your shots more consistent from one to the other. I just use a $20 scale that has a 200g limit but 0.01g resolution. Think I got at walmart, but lots on amazon.

Personally, I don't use the timer feature on my 270.

maki

#7: Post by maki »

^ this.

i use 18g beans on a 18g VST.
i single-dose.
i set my timer for 9.13 seconds (weird? i know)
thus i measure 18g of beans on my 0.01g resolution scales, put them into empty hopper, press the start button and let it run for these 9.13 seconds

that's it.
LMWDP #630

#8: Post by 709espresso (original poster) »

Bluenoser wrote:I really like the updosing/down-dosing suggestion for using this grinder.

Don't use the timer, weigh the beans that you put in on a digital scale.. or use the timer but weigh the output to make sure you consistently get your desired gram dose. For instance.. you might use a 17g dose. Then if you find the espresso is a bit sour as it pours a bit too fast, then you can add 1 gram to the next dose. The scale will make your shots more consistent from one to the other. I just use a $20 scale that has a 200g limit but 0.01g resolution. Think I got at walmart, but lots on amazon.

Personally, I don't use the timer feature on my 270.
Thanks. I ordered a cheap .01g scale from Amazon, and it did indeed make a huge difference. But I don't want to always weigh in and out. I'm a little OCD, but not extremely so. I am happy to do so however per bag of coffee. Once I have my ratio and timing right for a bag, I want to do it all by time and what I see. Anyway, I came to the conclusion that the ability to fine tune grind is critical, and ended up ordering the 270 for that and the couple of other things it has over the 30 (most notably a better portafilter holder). I was quoted $130CDN for the fine tune upgrade on the Sette 30, which would have brought the price of that to $474CDN. I did manage to get a good deal by saving $82CDN on my order which eased the blow somewhat, getting the 270 for $466CDN.

#9: Post by 709espresso (original poster) »

Just wanted to come back and thank everyone who suggested I weigh my input and output. This has made the most significant difference in my espresso - not just in consistency, but in developing the right flavour in the first place. Who knew the difference in taste between a ristretto and a lungo could be so incredibly massive? Mind. Blown. Sadly, it means I have weighed every single pull since making this discovery, and I suspect I may have become that OCD espresso drinker.