Baratza Sette 270 vs Niche Zero

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
zfeldman

#1: Post by zfeldman »

I can't seem to find anywhere where someone has compared the Sette 270 with the Niche.
I've had a Sette 270 since they came out (usual early model pains taken care of by Baratza).

Anyone compared the two? Taste in cup? Workflow (WTD, etc.)?

I don't have any specific problems with the Sette; I'm getting consistent results and workflow is super easy. However, after using my machine my dad is getting into espresso. I found him a machine, now he needs a grinder. So, I can pass on my Sette to him and get a Niche or have him buy a Sette.

eman5oh

#2: Post by eman5oh »

I know this is a old thread, but I am wondering the same thing too.

Advertisement
liquidmetal

#3: Post by liquidmetal »

I made the upgrade. Hard to compare the two - the NZ is simply so much better (and twice the price). More consistent shots, less messy, so much quieter, adjustment is much easier and precise. NZ also has better build quality and looks much nicer.

If you can afford the extra price, its 100% worth it. If you can't, I'd imagine it'd be worth compromising on the machine, depending on the budget.

dimka323

#4: Post by dimka323 »

What about taste in cup??

LObin

#5: Post by LObin »

I can't compare the two as far as taste goes but the HB review crew did a great comparison with high end grinders recognized as solid performer by the industry.
Have you read the HB Niche Zero review?
LMWDP #592

liquidmetal

#6: Post by liquidmetal »

dimka323 wrote:What about taste in cup??
Medium and heavy roasts, they're equivalent - when the Sette is spot on. Sometimes you get spritzers and such, causing a worse shot.

Light roasts, the NZ does much better (Sette produced unpleasant shots), I get a lot more flavors and clarity out of it.

TrlstanC

#7: Post by TrlstanC »

A big difference in the cup I noticed is the same benefit you get from most other large conicals - very consistent shots. With the 270 I might need to make small adjustments day to day, that are probably caused by temp or humidity or bean age or whatever. With the niche I can pretty much leave the adjustment alone once it's dialed in.

The other thing that's immediately noticeable is the noise. The sette is very loud, bordering on too loud for me (at least in the mornings). The Niche is pretty quiet for a large burr grinder, so the difference there is pretty big.

Advertisement
liquidmetal

#8: Post by liquidmetal replying to TrlstanC »

Agree on the adjustment too. I didn't think about that until you mentioned it. That may be what I was saying about inconsistencies above.

The noise sounds silly, but the Sette really annoyed me when serving guests. Basically its, "hold on let me grind this" because it's too loud for conversation over it. NZ you basically barely notice.

dimka323

#9: Post by dimka323 »

LObin wrote:I can't compare the two as far as taste goes but the HB review crew did a great comparison with high end grinders recognized as solid performer by the industry.
Have you read the HB Niche Zero review?

Yes, I read Niche zero review.
I asking about comparison to sette 270.
Specifically about taste in the cup.

dimka323

#10: Post by dimka323 »

liquidmetal wrote: Light roasts, the NZ does much better (Sette produced unpleasant shots), I get a lot more flavors and clarity out of it.
Can you elaborate about this?
How you compared between them?
Which light roasted coffee used?