Baratza Sette 270 - repair or replace?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mslim

#1: Post by mslim »

My 3 year old Sette 270 died. My guess is the power board needs changing as the grinder sounded "weak" just a day before and then died today mid-grind.

Servicing it is out of the question as there is no local service agent etc apart from buying the board online and changing it myself (by betting that the board is the problem).

My main dilemma is whether to repair it or buy a different grinder. I have the Eureke Mignon Manuale in sight (and the single dosing mod online is getting my attention as this mod may match the minimal grind retention of the Sette).

My back up grinder is the Breville Smart grinder - I find this grinder gives better clarity and separation to the taste than the Sette. The shot-to-shot time is more consistent with the Breville. I only pull 2 shots per day and I only do single dosing. The first shot with the Sette 270 has always been a bit slower than the second (or second shot is always quite a bit faster. I always flush my E61 dual boiler before pulling, despite identical weight of coffee. It has "always" been like this and I kinda lived with it for 3 years as there was little I could think to "troubleshoot"this aspect. The taste from cup to cup is similar though despite the difference in the speed of the espresso pull (I think someone has commented on this aspect).

So should I get the Manuale?

MichaelC

#2: Post by MichaelC »

I would absolutely take the time to fix the 270 and at least sell it or pass it on to a friend if you don't like it.

Baratza's main selling point for me has always been the serviceability and repairability of their grinders. Sending one the landfill is absolute anathema to me.

Have you tried talking to Baratza about the first / second shot problem? It's possible that your adjustment collar is loose and starts to slip coarser after the first grind. This is a well known issue.

mslim (original poster)

#3: Post by mslim (original poster) »

Thanks for the tip regarding the collar slip. I'll look into the posts here. As for service, I need to talk to the dealer here.

thepatman

#4: Post by thepatman »

Definitely hit up baratza or your dealer. It could be the motor too, I've had two fail on my grinder from the same year. Baratza took great care of me (the first motor was free!) and switching those out is literally a few screws. Good luck!

Bluenoser

#5: Post by Bluenoser »

If died means no power, then something in the control board might have blown.. But the plastic gear train only lasts about 2 years or so.. If that jammed when it died, maybe that is what you mean by 'dead'.. Baratza knows the gear train is weak and might replace it for you. My gear train died at year 2.. but the symptom was just loud grinding gear sound. If the gears stick, then the current to the motor shoots up (as it tries to start to spin) and you could burn out the motor or the control circuit.