Baratza Sette 270 ready for the junk heap after barely 2 years - Page 2

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Nunas » Oct 08, 2019, 11:54 am

There are tonnes of alternatives to the Sette 270, one just has to spend some time cruising these pages for reviews and recommendations. After all, it's just a conical burrs grinder. The tougher issue is finding a grinder that does weight based grinding, like the 270Wi. Etzinger has been mentioned here, but it isn't available. Even if it were, given the price in Europe (~ US$1400 to 3000), I could probably buy several 7-270Wi grinders and still have a bit of change. Some of us do a lot of Breville and Baratza bashing on these pages, but they have their place. We can't all afford Mercedes...some of us have to be content with a Chev; it isn't everyone who is able or willing to pony up mega bucks for a grinder with similar features to the Sette, but with a track record of longer life. And, so far at least, I have not found any other grinder manufacturer having anything with the capability of the 270-Wi at any reasonable price.

BaristaBoy E61

#12: Post by BaristaBoy E61 » Oct 08, 2019, 12:04 pm

Just my biased opinion , I'd look for a lightly used Mahlkonig K30 Vario or a new Compak E5 OD.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

TomC
Team HB

#13: Post by TomC » Oct 08, 2019, 12:09 pm

I've never owned a Baratza grinder personally, but I've used a few over the years. This forum has a good decade worth of glowing comments and discussions specifically addressing Baratza's customer support. They often extend support beyond the warranty period and even help second owners of used devices. I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience, but compared to most of what is shared, you're in the minority.

hedonsmbot

#14: Post by hedonsmbot » Oct 08, 2019, 12:10 pm

Today I replaced the Sette 270 with a Eureka Mignon.

First impression: The Eureka is much heavier, smaller, and has a bean hopper that's about 2/3 the size of the Sette.

After unboxing, my initial reaction was that the Eureka was a downgrade (in everything but reliability) from the Sette, but after pulling shots all morning I can honestly say I prefer the Eureka.

It's much quieter and produces grounds like the Sette used to when it was new. Sprays and streamers from my bottomless portafilter have been totally eliminated.

Baratza support got back to me in 24 hours and are requesting video/audio recording of the grinder so they can diagnose the problem. I think I've wasted enough time on it though.
I plan to have the Sette 270 professionally repaired and will then sell it here or on Kijiji.

Espresso_Junky

#15: Post by Espresso_Junky » Oct 08, 2019, 12:17 pm

Nunas wrote:There are tonnes of alternatives to the Sette 270, one just has to spend some time cruising these pages for reviews and recommendations. After all, it's just a conical burrs grinder. The tougher issue is finding a grinder that does weight based grinding, like the 270Wi. Etzinger has been mentioned here, but it isn't available. Even if it were, given the price in Europe (~ US$1400 to 3000), I could probably buy several 7-270Wi grinders and still have a bit of change. Some of us do a lot of Breville and Baratza bashing on these pages, but they have their place. We can't all afford Mercedes...some of us have to be content with a Chev; it isn't everyone who is able or willing to pony up mega bucks for a grinder with similar features to the Sette, but with a track record of longer life. And, so far at least, I have not found any other grinder manufacturer having anything with the capability of the 270-Wi at any reasonable price.
Definitely agree on using what you like/can reasonably afford. My beast of a grinder cost me MUCH less than what it was new and will likely outlive me.

Regarding complaints... surely there are tons of satisfied users of both brands and of course the most common posts are when there are issues, not always a positive review.

issy

#16: Post by issy » Oct 13, 2019, 9:40 am

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Just my biased opinion , I'd look for a lightly used Mahlkonig K30 Vario or a new Compak E5 OD.
Would you say the Niche is any better or worse than the Compak E5 or Mahlkonig? Would the different burrs affect the cup result noticeably?

truemagellen

#17: Post by truemagellen » replying to issy » Oct 13, 2019, 11:03 am

Niche is great I have one. At same time I miss my Compak k8 Silenzio with 83mm flat burrs and I'm looking for a larger flat Burr used again as my second grinder. I have a very forgiving setup to in a spring lever so I can make great coffee with a lot of grinders yet I still notice the difference which really surprised me.

I would say niche in the cup is better than Sette over let's say 10 cups. A used Compak or Mazzer conical for instance will be better than both over ever cup. A Compak or other larger flat Burr grinder will be better than the Compak/Mazzer conical depending on the bean but overall similar for espresso blends.

At the same time will you be able to tell the difference from the get go? Maybe not. I will meet up with other coffee guys and they will be talking about all the distinct flavors of a bean and I'm picking up maybe one of those things.

Will you be happy with a Niche? Absolutely. Mahlkonig is a mixed bag particularly in the used dept as they are shop favorites...but when you get a good one used which is probably 75% they are Rock solid. An ek43 for instance used would be amazing but what if the burrs are out of alignment or other problems, k30 are usually used in shops and heavily used and it is hard to recommend those unless you know for sure it was with ahobbyist and not a shop. In that regard the Niche shines for inherent burr alignment, quiet, easy to move around, smaller size, and known use if bought new of course.

All Mahlkonigs are pretty huge when on the counter even the Ek43s which is just shorter monster. Would love to have one though in great working order.

alexeyga

#18: Post by alexeyga » Oct 13, 2019, 8:14 pm

hedonsmbot wrote: but now the machine vibrates horribly, produces almost no coffee, and makes a terrible laboured noise.
I'm in the same boat. A 14-month old Sette which was averaging 2-3 shots per day:
-all of a sudden, the outcome started floating from shot to shot
-now it's vibrating with some very questionable sounds and it takes 9.5secs to get 18g. Initially that was about 6-6.5secs

Basically my faith is gone. I've been meticulously taking care of this grinder, but now I'm at the point where I'm shopping for something else. Meanwhile my plan is to get it repaired and unload on local classifieds.

MntnMan62

#19: Post by MntnMan62 » Oct 15, 2019, 11:52 am

If it's only two years old, why not write back to Baratza and explain everything that has gone wrong with the grinder? They may just send you a new one. I have a Virtuoso and after 3 1/2 years it just stopped working. I emailed Baratza support and within 30 minutes had a response from support suggesting some things to do. I did what they suggested which did not work and let them know. I now have a new motor on it's way to me, free of charge. I'm obviously not happy that my motor went in the first place but they were quick to jump on my email and work on a solution.

icantroast

#20: Post by icantroast » Oct 15, 2019, 12:56 pm

After the little retaining ring on my Virtuoso broke TWICE at no fault of mine and Baratza wasn't that helpful, I swore off ever buying another. I just don't get the hype for them and haven't experience the amazing customer support I have heard about. Imo, if any other company develops budgets espresso grinders they'll wipe the floor with Baratza.