Baratza Sette 270 quality issues?

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Capac

Postby Capac » Jun 13, 2018, 4:47 am

Hey,

I wanted to buy sette, but as I'm researching it, there seems to be a lot of quality issues. It's obvious that it isn't meant for commercial use and is made of plastic, but if I won't be able to have stable grind settings in 2 years, that's a problem.

Is this something I should be worried about?

If it is, any ither grinders I should check out (that is easy to use and doesn't cost a grand)? I should also mention I want as little grounds retention as possible.

Tonefish

Postby Tonefish » Jun 13, 2018, 9:15 am

Capac wrote:... but if I won't be able to have stable grind settings in 2 years...

Curious what you mean by this. Grind settings change with each bean, roast, and even aging as you work through a bag. Are you referring to the need for shims following break-in?

Most of the problems seem to have been earlier and it seems to have settled into a good grinder, except for maybe the W and i stuff, which I wouldn't dare touch (seems to be asking for trouble).

BTW I'm happy with mine but have only had it for months.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

Capac

Postby Capac » Jun 13, 2018, 9:26 am

How does sette compare to vario? Same price.

I want I grinder I wouldn't have to upgrade for years.

I'll probably order sette today.

JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » Jun 13, 2018, 9:53 am

I have had mine for a year. Grinds fine. According to Batratza the motor should last for around 20 years and the burrs even longer with residential use of 2-4 shots her day average.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Baratza will make it right or help repair. Realistically if you can get 5-10 years out of it at which point you'll want to upgrade to newer technology.

Chris65

Postby Chris65 » Jun 13, 2018, 9:58 am

Capac wrote:How does sette compare to vario? Same price.

I want I grinder I wouldn't have to upgrade for years.

I'll probably order sette today.

Full disclosure I don't own either but I am considering purchasing the sette so have looked into it. The general consensus seems that if you want to do only espresso get the sette as it out performs the vario for espresso. But the sette does not do as well for other grind sizes so if you plan on doing things other than espresso the vario is probably best for you.

Capac

Postby Capac » Jun 13, 2018, 10:04 am

I'm not doing french press so I think I'd be just fine with sette. If i wanted to do coarser grinds I could still get a different burr they sell.

r7

Postby r7 » Jun 13, 2018, 11:46 pm

The Sette is capable of excellent espresso grind quality. You will likely need to add a shim after breaking in the burrs. I used mine for drip for 10 to 12 lbs, then added a shim which got me into the espresso range. Great support from Baratza if you have any issues.

sluflyer06

Postby sluflyer06 » Jun 14, 2018, 11:21 am

It grinds well but there are still quality issues, my buddy is almost on his 3rd unit in 18 months, his 2nd motor is going out right now, and previously something broke and was basically grinding french press or worse. Baratza support has been good though.

santa

Postby santa » Jun 14, 2018, 7:46 pm

Only had mine for a month, but it worked great out of the box and has been consistent (weight within .2g). Still a lot of adjustment space in setting for espresso, so I don't foresee having to add shims for quite a while (I'm guessing mine came with one pre-installed).

Okccraft

Postby Okccraft » Jun 14, 2018, 8:38 pm

I've had my 270wi for a month now with no issues. Baratza sent this as a replacement for a 270w that I had for 2 months prior to that. 270w only occasionally missed the dose weight, but Baratza sent the updated version when I asked about updating to the Wi display.