Baratza Encore wearing out, needing a new grinder - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
wormraper (original poster)

#41: Post by wormraper (original poster) »

I just ordered the K-Max directly from 1zpresso's website (no tax).... for $249... it seems like it was the most value since I didn't need the blind doser thingy with the K-plus, and I'm a sucker for black. It seems that it vs. the Commandante is barely enough to split hairs, and with the MKIV going for $350 I figure this should do me nicely with my revitalized encore

BuzzedLightyear

#42: Post by BuzzedLightyear »

wormraper wrote:I just ordered the K-Max directly from 1zpresso's website (no tax).... for $249... it seems like it was the most value since I didn't need the blind filter thingy with the K-plus, and I'm a sucker for black. It seems that it vs. the Commandante is barely enough to split hairs, and with the MkIV going for $350 I figure this should do me nicely with my revitalized encore

Congrats

Post your thoughts once you use it a few times

Advertisement
tennisman03110

#43: Post by tennisman03110 »

wormraper wrote:I just ordered the K-Max directly from 1zpresso's website (no tax).... for $249... it seems like it was the most value since I didn't need the blind filter thingy with the K-plus, and I'm a sucker for black. It seems that it vs. the Commandante is barely enough to split hairs, and with the MkIV going for $350 I figure this should do me nicely with my revitalized encore
Out of curiosity, what made you go with the K-Max? I went with the cheaper JX. I think we're both just planning on using it for pour over.

My JX came yesterday. Made my first cup today -- grind size was too coarse, brewed too fast, so I'll need a few days to dial it in. However, I really like the feel of it, grinding is relatively quick and easy.

It's built like a tool, not a "gadget".

#44: Post by wormraper (original poster) replying to tennisman03110 »

from everything I've read it's just slightly more premium in it's build quality, and it's burrs create a slightly brighter and slightly more crisp cup than the JX, while the JX creates a sweeter cup. I'm a fan for crisp and bright and I'm sure the JX or JX Pro would have done me great, but I've heard that the K-series does slightly better for pourovers and french press... I literally chewed back and forth about the JX Pro or the K series, but finally went with the K series cuz I really liked the commandante style burrs and the magnetic drop cup (they make a J-Max series too, but it's only $39 less expensive than the K series)

also, it's burrs are really REALLY similar to the commandante's which everyone was reccomending at first, so I figured since I don't need espresso and was really almost on the verge of buying the commandante I'd go with the K series.

#45: Post by wormraper (original poster) »

BuzzedLightyear wrote: Congrats

Post your thoughts once you use it a few times
will do.

#46: Post by wormraper (original poster) »

came in today much sooner than expected. No directions in the box, but plenty online. Pretty easy to take apart and put back together every time now that I've monkey'd around with it... did a pourover right now at about 8.0 on the grind wheel.... definitely too extracted, probably need to go closer to 8.5-9.0.....but holy sh**, that grind consistency is amazing. way better than my encore

one question though. I noticed there are 9 major numbers with 10 clicks for each one (90 total)........ HOWEVER, on the online "card" for grind settings, it lists "9-10 for French Press"........how the hell am I supposed to get to 10 when there's only 9 numbers ??? (0-8... with a full rotation at 0 being 9...)

other than those things, I really really like it. It only takes a few seconds more than my encore to grind, and I LOVE how consistent my grinds look