Baratza Encore wearing out, needing a new grinder - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
tennisman03110

#31: Post by tennisman03110 »

Pressino wrote:Also, the idea of upgrading the Encore with new motor and burrs is going to cost more than a new Encore. So it's really up to the OP.
There's lots uo for debate in this thread -- however, your statement isn't one of them. New M2 burrs and the motor are $70 (Baratza customer service might even mark that down.....). A new Encore is $140, minimum.

Even in OP gets a different grinder, the Encore + upgrade doesn't hurt to have around.

wormraper (original poster)

#32: Post by wormraper (original poster) »

ooooo, more replies after I forget to visit for a few days lol.

anywhoo, I'll try to summarize my thoughts.

Yes, $500 was my upper limit of what I was willing to spend, but coming from ONLY an Encore I wasn't sure how much I would have to spend to get an appreciably better grind. For all I knew it would take all $500 to get anything measurably better.... or it would cost $350 for said upgrade considering I'm filtered coffee only (zero desire for espresso. Not even a fan of the drink).

as for manual vs. electric. I'm perfectly comfortable getting a manual grinder for doing special things, but I STILL want to keep a good electric around considering the fact that my wife would just go buy starbucks before using a manual grinder. A good electric grinder where she can dump in the beans and press a button is a must. That's why I originally wondered if spending all my cash eggs in one electric basket would be worthwhile.

however, if I can get an upgraded encore back online ($72.32 with shipping) and spend money on a manual grinder to up my pour over game I'm all for it. I was looking at the 1Zpresso K-plus/pro or the Commandante (although the commandante is like $350 everywhere right now and seems over priced compared to the k-plus by all reviews) for that purpose. As I said, I just wasn't sure if it would be better to go with an electric grinder and spend the full $500 on that, or whether I could get a significant upgrade with a manual grinder AND revitalize the electric for the wife

BuzzedLightyear

#33: Post by BuzzedLightyear » replying to wormraper »

I'm not aware of any grinder for $500 that can make better coffee then hand grinders like the 1zpresso, Commandante, Kinu, etc....

tennisman03110

#34: Post by tennisman03110 »

I purchased a 1ZPpresso this morning on Amazon. It will arrive tomorrow.

I'll give my (very nonscientific) opinion of it later in the week, compared to my Encore with M2 burrs

Pressino

#35: Post by Pressino »

tennisman03110 wrote:There's lots uo for debate in this thread -- however, your statement isn't one of them. New M2 burrs and the motor are $70 (Baratza customer service might even mark that down.....). A new Encore is $140, minimum.

Even in OP gets a different grinder, the Encore + upgrade doesn't hurt to have around.
My error, I had no idea you could purchase a new Encore motor and M2 burr set for an out of warranty machine for only $70! That's a very good deal and Kudos to Baratza for such inexpernsive replacement parts. 8)

#36: Post by wormraper (original poster) »

tennisman03110 wrote:I purchased a 1ZPpresso this morning on Amazon. It will arrive tomorrow.

I'll give my (very nonscientific) opinion of it later in the week, compared to my Encore with M2 burrs
white 1Zpresso did you get? JX or K?

#37: Post by wormraper (original poster) »

Pressino wrote:My error, I had no idea you could purchase a new Encore motor and M2 burr set for an out of warranty machine for only $70! That's a very good deal and Kudos to Baratza for such inexpernsive replacement parts. 8)
same here. I thought it would be the same cost (ish) as buying a new encore, which is why I was considering just dumping this one. they cut me a deal at $72.xx shipped for both the burrs and motor, so my encore will still be in use for my wife, and for when I'm too lazy to hand grind....cuz lets face it, there are times when I just want to dump a pre-measured set of beans from the night before into my hopper and flip the switch while I blearily stare a coffee grinder that's going in an out of focus while I try to wake up.

#38: Post by wormraper (original poster) »

BuzzedLightyear wrote:I'm not aware of any grinder for $500 that can make better coffee then hand grinders like the 1zpresso, Commandante, Kinu, etc....
good to know. I'm really honing in on the K-plus/K-max right now as it looks to be the best price to value ratio ....

I've found that my encore does FANTASTIC for french press. Very good for aero press, but very inconsistent on pourovers like the V60 (I'm guessing due to the inconsistent fines creation it seems to produce). I drink 90% french press brews of single origin roasts and I love them to death, but I really want to fine tune my V60 brews as those can be INCREDIBLE with fruit forward roasts. I'm hoping the 1zpresso or Commandante upgrade can help with that.

BuzzedLightyear

#39: Post by BuzzedLightyear » replying to wormraper »

Taste is subjective, that's why 1zpresso offer different grinders for people looking for different taste profiles

However, with that said. All my other grinders have made the encore taste muddy and dull. Even with the m2 burr upgrade. Which is no surprise when you look at the encore design and the grind it produces. It amazes me that the design stuck around for so long and I'm even more amazed that I was stupid enough to buy a second one in my lifetime.

tennisman03110

#40: Post by tennisman03110 »

wormraper wrote:white 1Zpresso did you get? JX or K?
I got the JX, $140 on Amazon. Reading around, the grind quality between models doesn't seem that different.