Baratza Encore for V60 pourover? Other recommendations?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Kevinmj70

#1: Post by Kevinmj70 »

I currently have a Hario Skerton grinder I use for espresso and V60 pour over. Way too many 'fines' when coarse grinding for the pour over. Is a Baratza Encore a 'good enough' grinder for V60 pour over? Any other recommendations?

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

Good enough is up to each user; personally I think it is well worth spending the extra money for a virtuoso. You can often get refurbished models off of Baratza's website at a nice discount.
LMWDP #435

Compass Coffee

#3: Post by Compass Coffee replying to [creative nickname] »

+1
Encore definitely good enough. For most people. That said Virtuoso not only grinds faster (about twice as fast) but also better results in the cup.
Mike McGinness

happycat

#4: Post by happycat »

I'm not thrilled with my Encore for pour over

My Bunn G1 used bulk grinder is way better -- I got it cheap used through kijiji in Canada which is like craigslist

I recently learned that Encore can be upgraded with Preciso cone burr which I am doing as it's not that expensive $36CDN

the Preciso burr is supposed to be a noticeable reduction in fines

It's not worth it to buy a cheap grinder because you end up fighting the flavours (over extraction of fines, under extraction of boulders) caused by uneven grind. It is a real waste of effort that you will be compensating for by messing around. You might end up sieving your coffee like I am when I have to use it. An even grind eliminates the off notes.
LMWDP #603

johnny4lsu

#5: Post by johnny4lsu »

I disagree.. Encore works well for pour over.

Kevinmj70 (original poster)

#6: Post by Kevinmj70 (original poster) »

happycat wrote:I'm not thrilled with my Encore for pour over

My Bunn G1 used bulk grinder is way better -- I got it cheap used through kijiji in Canada which is like craigslist

I recently learned that Encore can be upgraded with Preciso cone burr which I am doing as it's not that expensive $36CDN

the Preciso burr is supposed to be a noticeable reduction in fines

It's not worth it to buy a cheap grinder because you end up fighting the flavours (over extraction of fines, under extraction of boulders) caused by uneven grind. It is a real waste of effort that you will be compensating for by messing around. You might end up sieving your coffee like I am when I have to use it. An even grind eliminates the off notes.
So an Encore updated with a Preciso burr set would be a good set-up IYO?

RyanJE

#7: Post by RyanJE »

I have had both the encore and virtuoso. Current use virtuoso four my pour over and would say it makes a much more consistent grind. VERY consistent for the money and great results in cup.

Next step up for money would probably be along the lines of bunzilla and such.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Nate42

#8: Post by Nate42 »

Myself and several co-workers communally own an Encore that we use for coffee at work. It was the best grinder I could convince the others to spring for. It gets the job done, but I'm not a fan and wouldn't buy one again. Compared to my Preciso at home it is slower, has a more uneven grind, and tends to have less distinct "muddier" flavor.

Only difference between Preciso and Virtuoso is the finer adjust-ability of the Preciso. For pourover Virtuoso is just as good, and I would seriously consider it over the Encore.

Baratza is pretty much the only game in town for reasonably priced designed for the home grinders. Of course if you can afford it (or get a good deal used) and don't care about size, a commercial bulk grinder would be better still.

dilin

#9: Post by dilin »

You can swap the Preciso burr with the Encore's to get a faux Virtuoso.

I did it, and, well, if you are handy with tools, it's worth a shot. The plastic bits looked like they could snap off anytime (the Encore's calibration ring), and the burr was quite attached to the shaft. Another person helping you along would make things easier.

That being said, it grinds faster, more uniforms grinds and tastes much better! Not as much as stepping up from the Hario Mini to the Encore, though YMMV.

leon

#10: Post by leon »

If you don't mind continuing to grind by hand, then a Lido or Feldgrind/Hausgrind could also be a good option. These would be a huge upgrade in grind quality from the skerton, while still costing significantly less than a comparable electric grinder.