Anyone have a good reason NOT to get used Zacconi Riviera?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CoffeeBeetle

#1: Post by CoffeeBeetle »

Hey Guys
I have been looking at a used Zacconi Riviera from the early 90s bought in Italy. The machine is made from brass and the seller says that it has seen no extensive use.
When I first saw it I hadn't heard of the brand Zacconi before, so I began searching here at HB for some info on this machine. From what i've been able to find the Zacconi Riviera is often compared to the Mcal, the build quality being at somewhat the same level. It seems that the reason most people choose something other than the Riviera is the trouble of finding someone selling spare parts for the machine. I can definitely see why no spare parts could be a problem, but living in Europe it seems that spare parts are more available here, then they are in the states.
From the pictures i've seen the machine seems to be in good condition and the price for this is a good bit lower then the price of a used Mcal. So my question is, have I missed something? Any reason not to get a Zacconi Riviera?
Thanks in advance for your help.

crazy4espresso

#2: Post by crazy4espresso »

Hi,

Is the machine complete? If so, and the price is right, go for it! They're great machines and produce awesome espresso, though the shot volumes are small. Baskets, seals, and most parts are still available. If it's the really old groups (not sure when they switched over), then the portafilters are hard to find. But if it's a complete machine, then no worries. Enjoy!
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

realdoctor

#3: Post by realdoctor »

The Riviera essentially uses the same group as the Sama/Pontevecchio family. As far as I know, Zacconi made the groups for all of those (and more). The only complaint I have heard about that group is the fact that a single pull produces a standard Italian single espresso - which is much smaller than Americans are used to drinking. It's not much of a complaint; you can just pull two shots from a double basket.

Coffee quality is excellent and the machine is very easy to use. Almost foolproof as long as you get the basics of beans, grind and water right. I have a flattop Riviera and a couple of Sama's and they are good machines.

Piston seals and gaskets are available by buying Ponte Vecchio. Other parts are more of a challenge - although you can always contact Tomaso at Zacconi for help.

Beware of one thing: there have been a few changes over time in the Riviera, and certain parts might be impossible to find for an old brass one. Take this into account when you evaluate the price you are willing to pay.

Good luck with this!

realdoctor

#4: Post by realdoctor »

Sorry - I missed the fact that you are in Denmark. Lamacchinadelcaffe.com is a good source for parts from Ancona, Italy - although his Zacconi stock is only the newer model without the spring lever. But he also stocks Ponte Vecchio seals. His service to Vienna has been very fast and efficient. I usually get things within a few days. As pointed out - you can have some trouble matching the group on a few models, but most will take the PV portafilter. You can also run into minor fit issues based on whether the portafilter basket has a rolled or flat lip, but most can be fitted.

Jim

peacecup

#5: Post by peacecup »

Its a similar group to the Ponte Vecchio, which makes great espresso. Also, the company has a good reputation for quality. Read about them here:

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/m_zacconi_eng.htm

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

dominico
Team HB

#6: Post by dominico »

I had an early 90's Zacconi Riviera for a while, sold it to another HB member who plumbed it in.

The aforementioned Lamacchinadelcaffe.com is indeed a good source for parts, I bought a replacement sight glass and another double basket from them.

The Ponte Vecchio portafilter should work with this group, but I'm not 100% certain. I know all the gaskets should be interchangeable.

What I liked about the Riviera was the sturdy base and nice big boiler size. What I didn't like was the small fill hole (I had to use a funnel to fill it) and the ugly flat top that came with that generation Riviera. Had I found an eagle dome for a good price I would have gotten it.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

crazy4espresso

#7: Post by crazy4espresso »

I wouldn't be ordering seals until the unit is inspected. It's probably the old 3 seal configuration using PV seals, however there were at least 4 different seal configurations. Wait until you get the machine. As far as I remember, the old groups accepted a PV portafilter, but only with a Zacconi double basket.
LMWDP #427

CoffeeBeetle (original poster)

#8: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

Hey guys
Thanks for all the response, makes me more confident about buying such a machine. Some of you seem to be talking about a "flat-top" and no eagle. This is the machine i'm considering buying, just want to make sure we are talking about the same machine?
http://www.dba.dk/espressomaskine-rivie ... illeder/2/

crazy4espresso

#9: Post by crazy4espresso »

Beautiful machine. If the price is right, don't hesitate. It appears to be the old group, same as used on the Export but I would wait to tear it down before assuming it is, as the group underwent some changes over the years.
LMWDP #427

CoffeeBeetle (original poster)

#10: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

Besides trouble finding a matching portafilter, are there anything wrong with an older group compared to a newer one, like better thermal stability or anything like that? I know that the Pavonis have gotten better and better groups, is it the same with the Riviera or are they just different?