Any new Rocket R91 owners!?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pcivic

#1: Post by pcivic »

Hi to all,

I am very surprised that there hasn't been more to read regarding Rocket R91. I was thinking something similar as LM Linea Mini owners thread and expecting more post/topics of potential buyers.

Currently I am "driving" Linea Mini, but somehow it is just to basic machine for me, and I am seriusly considering R91. As GS3/MP can not repeat manual profile I am not considering it, also I want to try something not ultra popular.

So are there any new or experienced R91 users that can share some insights or report after a some time of use?

Doing a lot of research I found out following potential "issues" that actual users can report:

-Steam wand is positioned a bit strange with corelation to activation lever, and hot water is on the same side.
-How is touch control of hot water with touch screen?
-on videos pump sound is a bit different than other gear pump machines (high pitch)
-lag on manual profiling mode, is it in acceptable level?
-is pressure ramp up smooth or is it in rough steps?
-how is user experience doing manual profilling?
-are non insulated boilers problem? To hot cups?
-reliability of such complex machine?

Any other cons or pros comparing to other machines especialy LM Linea Mini?

Looking forward for your opinions!

NelisB

#2: Post by NelisB »

For me the fact that you can't control flow was the reason not to buy it. And what I heard is that technique inside the box is very complicated, lots of stuff that can fail.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
pcivic (original poster)

#3: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

Yes, I agree it is very complex machine. I had no problem doing maintenance on E61, but probably would not do it with R91.

It is a pressure profiling machine, but anyway flow is directly correlated with pressure. Also flow at low pressures with gear pump is much lower than it would be with rotary, but probably it is not machine if you are specifically into slayer style shots, but you can still do very long preinfusions according to videos seen on youtube.

I get the feeling that even though one gets a LOT with R91 for the money, somehow it is not attracting crowds even though basically it has functionality of Strada, for less money than GS/3. And I am sure that people would like to see gear in GS/3 to be able to reproduce shots automatically...

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

This is a personal feeling, based on an Italian-made machine from a well-respected manufacturer that was wired backwards from the factory and suffered heat-induced electronics failure, as well as reading of issues here around controller and display failures - I have concerns about the big-name Italian machines and their component suppliers when it comes to electronics. Replacing a $75 SSR or a $200 control box is frustrating enough without adding in a custom display and microcontroller.

In my opinion, there are better choices if what you want is flow control over your already solid LMLM. That's a hard machine to beat.

Popularity is an interesting facet. Marketing aside, it is often driven by being able to provide greater value than the competition at a comparable price. There are exceptions when you have a comparatively small group of consumers whose needs and preferences are not "mainstream" and measure "value" differently. The Streitman is one example that comes to mind. Beautiful machine, from what I've read, produces great espresso, but if you value steaming or automation at even the minimal level of a spring lever, its cost/value ratio is not as compelling as other options.

pcivic (original poster)

#5: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

This is interesting as there are other complex machines for example Slayer, that are also very complex, but nobody is complaining except when there when breakdown happens. I think it is just about prestige factor, where at certain point we dont care about all potential problems and issues. Pride of ownership prevails. Linea mini is good machine but for me it just does not offer enough. That being said it might be perfect for those that are just happy doing flat 9 bar shots.

And I do not agree that there are so many better options. Which one?

Linea mini does not have saturated group, r91 does, (full scale Linea also does) so does GS3, but gs3 does not have gear pump, and one can only profile manually.
There was LM shot brewer with strada gear pump and electronics, but it lacks steam boiler, it is not in sale anymore. So the next machine that can be directly compared it Strada single group, but for 3x price of r91.

Worth mentioning I am not in to flow profiling, as basically it usually just means two steps (can be installed in any machine even linea mini) as there is just two little play with.

I am pretty sure if the brand name would be La Marzocco on same machine, it would be all around the forums nobody would be concerned about complexity etc..

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

pcivic wrote:Linea mini does not have saturated group...
Er, it does have an integrated group design that delivers the same result.

From La Marzocco Linea Mini: Integrated Group
Dan Kehn
★ Helpful

pcivic (original poster)

#7: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

I agree, I am sure cup quality is the same, but I can not get over fact that it is not the same group as the one "big" linea has. Of course just my personal perception, one reason why I would rather buy GS3 if I would be buying again.

Hopefully some actual r91 users will report :D

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
lagoon

#8: Post by lagoon »

pcivic wrote:Hi to all,

So are there any new or experienced R91 users that can share some insights or report after a some time of use?

-Steam wand is positioned a bit strange with corelation to activation lever, and hot water is on the same side.
-How is touch control of hot water with touch screen?
-on videos pump sound is a bit different than other gear pump machines (high pitch)
-lag on manual profiling mode, is it in acceptable level?
-is pressure ramp up smooth or is it in rough steps?
-how is user experience doing manual profilling?
-are non insulated boilers problem? To hot cups?
-reliability of such complex machine?
I've had mine in operation for about 2.5 years now.

It seems to be not a well known machine on this board, but here in Australia it's normally considered the one to go for at the very high end.

Unlike a GS3, it offers both AV mode and MP mode in the one machine, plus it's programmable so you get that repeatability.

No issues with the touch screen, second nature. Overall none of the items you mentioned above have been a concern in practice.

Dapuma

#9: Post by Dapuma »

great to hear

how is the "one touch" set up going? Do you have it programmed for water and pull so you can just press one button and it executes exactly how you want it every time?

That seems very cool to me, how you can change minor variables bit by bit to achieve perfection...then get it perfect every single time

Espressoman007

#10: Post by Espressoman007 »

It looks like a great machine to me, visually and technically. But if there already isn't one, why don't you move this thread to "Espresso machines" category, instead of "Buying advice", perhaps HB should've done that after the first post..
I don't think you need opinions from people that don't have one to persuade you not to buy it. So this thread in "Buying advice" category might direct people the wrong way.
If it had its own thread, perhaps more owners would show up, as "lagoon", who showed up five months after your first post.

Or, perhaps you already bought one :)
Good luck!
Cheers!