Any new Rocket R91 owners!? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
tasadam

#11: Post by tasadam »

OK I found a topic that finally got me registered, so hello everyone. Long time lurker.
I've had the R9 One for less than a week, paired with the Mahlkonig E80 Supreme less than 2 weeks. Talk about WOW...
I am really impressed already with the R91. I have been driving the Vibiemme Domobar Super for more than 13 years, Breville 800ES before that with modified basket to remove the pinhole, and a La Pavoni lever before that.
The VBM has been and still is a good machine, but this is a few levels up.

The thing I am struggling with, I can compensate with slightly off grind setting by tweaking the pressure profile through the shot.
What I think would be great is if it were possible to find the default pre-infusion times and pressure settings, and extraction settings (pressure, time) for industry standard machines.

Go back 9 years or so, the Simonelli Aurelia II was used at the Australian Barista Championships (I was a sensory judge there). Wouldn't it be great to be able to find the settings so that you can program a profile in the R91 to replicate what that machine was doing.
Then I would have a benchmark standard setting to use, and I could then do various cupping sessions to dial in each grind and get that right, before playing with pressure profiles and exploring the bean / blend further.

Further, you could download the classic machine profiles and have your R91 replicate an extraction from all these different famous machines. I am surprised I can't find this info anywhere.

I could just hit the group with 9 bar for 30 seconds, but that's a bit boring, surely a bit of pre-infusion happens in the quality classic machines.
Any thoughts for an industry standard, classic extraction profile?

tasadam

#12: Post by tasadam »

I should also mention, in relation to the R91 and the laggy touch response reported in an old topic that I cannot respond to.
Tapping away with the point of my bony finger and was getting no reply... Did not take me long to work out for myself that using the print of your thumb gives easy, consistent, accurate responses to touch.
So the touch display requires a more broad fingerprint touch area than the tip of your finger - I do recall seeing somewhere a mention in one of the reviews that the touch is designed not to be as sensitive due to its operating environment.
Works fine with the flat of your thumb though, every time.

Particularly important to know this tip when operating the hot water.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
M997

#13: Post by M997 »

tasadam wrote:OK I found a topic that finally got me registered, so hello everyone. Long time lurker.
I've had the R9 One for less than a week, paired with the Mahlkonig E80 Supreme less than 2 weeks. Talk about WOW...
I am really impressed already with the R91. I have been driving the Vibiemme Domobar Super for more than 13 years, Breville 800ES before that with modified basket to remove the pinhole, and a La Pavoni lever before that.
The VBM has been and still is a good machine, but this is a few levels up.

The thing I am struggling with, I can compensate with slightly off grind setting by tweaking the pressure profile through the shot.
What I think would be great is if it were possible to find the default pre-infusion times and pressure settings, and extraction settings (pressure, time) for industry standard machines.

Go back 9 years or so, the Simonelli Aurelia II was used at the Australian Barista Championships (I was a sensory judge there). Wouldn't it be great to be able to find the settings so that you can program a profile in the R91 to replicate what that machine was doing.
Then I would have a benchmark standard setting to use, and I could then do various cupping sessions to dial in each grind and get that right, before playing with pressure profiles and exploring the bean / blend further.

Further, you could download the classic machine profiles and have your R91 replicate an extraction from all these different famous machines. I am surprised I can't find this info anywhere.

I could just hit the group with 9 bar for 30 seconds, but that's a bit boring, surely a bit of pre-infusion happens in the quality classic machines.
Any thoughts for an industry standard, classic extraction profile?
May be useful for you))
Variable Pressure Infusion Modification Results: a Paper

tasadam

#14: Post by tasadam » replying to M997 »

Thank you! :P

Dapuma

#15: Post by Dapuma »

What I found is that this forum doesn't like the r91. Check out the Aussie forum for better info.

mel5582

#16: Post by mel5582 »

Just gotten the R91 as well and have been playing with it. In terms of the touch screen response, yes, it's more sensitive with the thumb and if you're already familiar with the six parts/segments to it, it's easier to manage.

Other than that, the machine has been a dream to use.