Any cheaper double boilers other than Lelit Bianca that do flow control or significant pre-infusion well?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
cgibsong002

#1: Post by cgibsong002 »

So I've gone back and forth a bit on the machine that I'm looking for. I've been looking at both the La Spaziale Lucca A53 and the Profitec Pro 600. What's now pushing me away from both of these is understanding just how important pre-infusion or flow control will be for light roasts. The Profitec i know can get the flow control kit, but i kind of hate the little knob, and sissy at that point it's creeping towards Bianca price. The A53 has pre-infusion but i recently learned it's limited to 8s.

Other than the above manual control abilities, i want double boiler for milk drinks, and preferably the option to plumb in, though that's not a must (i don't think).

The obvious other option is the BDB, but aesthetics wise it just won't work with what I'm looking for.

So, are there any other choices out there? I've struggled to find much. Ideally sticking to the <$2500 range. Levers would be fine too but i don't think there are any in this range.

gabeholloway
Supporter

#2: Post by gabeholloway »

My knowledge is limited in this area, but if you plumb in, my understanding is that you can get line pressure (~1-2bar without the pump kicking in?) for a soft pre-infusion on the Profitec at the partially engaged position.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
coffeechan

#3: Post by coffeechan »

Only other suggestion not put forth already might possibly be for the Lelit Elizabeth for pre-infusion only. It looks like it can do pre-infusion, but not flow control.

I believe the BDB will also require additional modification for true manual pressure profiling during the shot aside from the preinfusion. It looks like the Bianca will probably be the best bet to tick all the boxes you're looking for right out of the box.

Auctor
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Auctor »

Edited. Don't mind me - I failed to read the first post. :D

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by walr00s »

https://www.1st-line.com/buy/caffeum-pe ... o-machine/ 1600 dollar e61 dual boiler

https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Sensor-Co ... B0834DV619 160 dollar flow control kit

this was my plan back when I thought I needed dual boiler

Chrikelnel

#6: Post by Chrikelnel » replying to walr00s »

I bought a used E61 DB and that same kit, definitely the way to go on a budget if flow control is what you're after. My total cost came out to ~$1400.

cgibsong002 (original poster)

#7: Post by cgibsong002 (original poster) »

gabeholloway wrote:My knowledge is limited in this area, but if you plumb in, my understanding is that you can get line pressure (~1-2bar without the pump kicking in?) for a soft pre-infusion on the Profitec at the partially engaged position.
But even that (line pressure) would require the pro 700 no? 600 is not plummable.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
SCespresso

#8: Post by SCespresso »

A used db machine plus adding the flow control would be the only way to fall under your budget.

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Plinyyounger »

Flow control is a useful tool but not necessary to get good flavor from light roasts.

There have been some good suggestions in the thread already. I have seen WWL came out with some machines from Crem. I don't know a lot about them but from what I've seen I've been hoping someone would try. Prices are good and one of theM offers a very cool flow control mechanism.
Bought a Max, used a Max, then sold the Max. We are splitting hairs.

tinman143
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by tinman143 »

cgibsong002 wrote:But even that (line pressure) would require the pro 700 no? 600 is not plummable.
Correct, 600 is not plummable.