Alternatives to BPlus shower screen - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
DamianWarS (original poster)

#11: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Plenty of fabricators of sintered-screen material if your quantities are high enough. There were a few tried in the Decent community in the early days of screen-mania. As you own a Decent, I believe you can look those threads up on Discord or Discourse (I forget which it was).
Is one sintered-screen better than the other. I see thickness is a factor, 1.7mm seems to be the thicker ones. i'm not sure how thick a bplus screen is

BaristaBob

#12: Post by BaristaBob replying to DamianWarS »

B-Plus and Flair 58 screens are 1.9mm in thickness.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

#13: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) replying to BaristaBob »

thanks for the info, speaking of the Flair58 screen does anyone have both? what sort of differences do you see in them?

BaristaBob

#14: Post by BaristaBob replying to DamianWarS »

I saw absolutely no difference using my BDB in time to pull a shot, flow through my bottomless pf basket, or taste. It's possible that on a different machine there may be a difference.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Rice Bowl

#15: Post by Rice Bowl »

One or two sellers on Etsy have also been advertising customized shower screens - send in an image and they'll get it made on the screen a la BPlus/Flair logos on their respective shower screens. Seems like a fun thing to do at a discounted price compared to said other retailers

#16: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

TigerStripes wrote:I bought a 58.5mm puck screen off aliexpress for $4.00.

It's literally the exact same as the b-plus screen, but it took 3 weeks to arrive. There is absolutely no reason to spend $50 on the b-plus.
I just bought one locally where I'm based, the cost was about $7 USD. both look and feel identical, the thickness and size was exactly the same measured with digital calipers. The bplus weighed 2gr more but after washing and cleaning them both it weighed 1gr more, the bplus went up 1gr and the unbranded went up 2gr which would be strictly water weight even after drying. To be honest the extra gram may be various trapped residue from using it day to day. I'll weigh them again to see how a few weeks of use changes. Even if it's 1gr more I'm not confident the 1gr difference is worth the cost of the bplus over an unbranded one. I'm pretty confident you could probably order a bulk supply from aliexpress and they could probably brand them for you too and you'd still be able to sell them cheaper than bplus. I'm not sure why bplus is priced so high but it's unnecessary. sintered steel has been used for a long time in industries and bplus holds no secret sauce advantage so if you don't mind waiting just order it from china, I have no doubt that's exactly what bplus is doing.

jtferraro

#17: Post by jtferraro »

I went with a Flair 58 puck screen for $25. It shipped quickly (from CA to CT) and seems like a nice piece - relatively thick, no jagged edges. It keeps my shower screen clean and likely (no scientific data to back it up) makes for more consistent, even extractions.

I'm now considering using a smaller screen on the bottom, rather than the paper Cafelet ones (or nothing). The paper bottoms definitely let less oils through, but I see that primarily as a disadvantage (they look good though, so brown and 'creamy'). Thoughts?

I just visited Flair's site, but couldn't find the screen listed anywhere. However, here's the link I used (which I found via jkim's 'modern espresso' YT video):
https://flairespresso.com/product/flair-58-puck-screen/

Thanks,
-Jeff

harris

#18: Post by harris »

https://www.oxo.com/cold-brew-coffee-ma ... oup%20%231

Clean, simple, perfect fit and no screen to retrieve.

#19: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) replying to harris »

I bought a 2.25" craft punch and I cut 3" lab filters (that probably would be the same as the tricolate filters) to cut them to size. they are not quite a good as good as fit as 2.3" ones you referenced for the top but they work excellent for the bottom. My idea was to use Aeropress filters originally and cut them but they are too close in size and more get pushed in the punch rather than punched out. I would of course buy ones already the right size except I haven't been able to source them where I live. the good part about lab equipment is it's pretty much everywhere and for not bad prices so they will always work in a pinch.