Aillio Bullet in Canada - 220 vs. 120V models

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Nunas »

I'm looking to move up from my Quest M3 (which I really like and use weekly roasting four half-pound batches) to something with more capacity. I'd still prefer an electric roaster. I think the Aillio Bullet would fulfill my needs and wants quite nicely. However, they are not yet sold in Canada :( There is a Canadian distributor, but he cannot sell the Bullet until Aillio gets it certified. Eh...I can wait. But wait! the distributor just told me that Aillio is getting the Bullet certified in Canada as a 220-Volt roaster, not as a 120-Volt roaster. No specific reasons were offered. The dealer plans to make it available with a certified step-up transformer. Nope... I don't want that!

So, my options seem to be to buy one from Aillio and accept that it won't be certified for Canada. I'm not worried about this; I don't think my Quest is certified either :) Or, I could import one (used or new) from the USA, which by the way, is a 120-Volt model according to SM.

Before I proceed further, I'd like to hear from users of the 120-Volt Bullet about how well it works. There has to be some logical reason for Aillio not to certify at 120-Volts, but after looking over the posts here on H-B and at the Aillio web site, I'll be darned if I can figure out why. It's only a 1550-Watt roaster, well within the limits of standard household wiring; one wouldn't even need a 20-Amp circuit.

It might also be useful to hear from those who have a 220-Volt model and run it on 120-Volts with a converter. Although, I doubt I'd buy one like this.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any insight!
-Maurice

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

I have a 120 V Aillio Bullet V1.5 roaster. This roaster came with the IBTS Infrared Bean Temp System but does not have the new Induction Board that the V2.0 roaster has which has more power available and more stable power available with different inputs. I am using a Variac with my Bullet (the same one I used with my Behmor) to make sure that I'm getting 120 VAC into the roaster instead of something lower and I believe that this has improved my roasting. I don't have a dedicated 20 A outlet near my roaster so I have a very thick jumper I made to minimize voltage drop from my washer/dryer 120 V outlet to my roasting bench. I don't know if a Variac would still be needed to give the input voltage a boost with the V2.0 induction board.

The new induction board was rolled out first for the 220 V roasters but it appears that it's now available for the 120 V roasters as well. I haven't really kept track with the V1.5 vs. V2.0 much since I decided that I didn't need to upgrade right away. Aillio probably sells more 220 V roasters than 120 V roasters and may just be prioritizing certification for these first, not sure.

Here's a link to an old article on the new induction board by Aillio. https://aillio.medium.com/the-beating-h ... 432c2be695
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yvrdennis

#3: Post by yvrdennis »

I'm in Canada. I bought one from Aillio directly, and I didn't realize it wasn't certified here. Mine is the 120V version, which has a 15A plug on it. I do plug it into a 20A outlet because that's what I have. It works fine. I can reach FC on 700 g of beans within about 6-7 minutes, and I only use P9 for the first minute or two. I think it works fine.

Don't quote me, but my understanding is that the 220V version has the same power rating. It's just 220V for the areas where that's how the power comes.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Voltage drop in your wiring won't be as big of an issue with 220 V vs. 120 V. I had the choice of running some 480 V runs in the desert for some night vision cameras years ago with step up / step down transformers or tapping into a 38,000 V AC source, I chose to work with the 480 V. If I had run 120 V the size of the copper would be huge and the price would be astronomical.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

pcdawson

#5: Post by pcdawson »

As a fellow Canuck I'd be very interested in purchasing your Quest M3 if you decide to move on the Aillio. I sent you a pm but not sure if it went through. Feel free to pm me if interested. - Pete

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

I don't know if a Variac would still be needed to give the input voltage a boost with the V2.0 induction board.
Chris, from my reading I think a Variac would not be useful with this new board. Thanks for pointing me to that article.

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

yvrdennis wrote:I'm in Canada. I bought one from Aillio directly, and I didn't realize it wasn't certified here. Mine is the 120V version, which has a 15A plug on it. I do plug it into a 20A outlet because that's what I have. It works fine. I can reach FC on 700 g of beans within about 6-7 minutes, and I only use P9 for the first minute or two. I think it works fine.

Don't quote me, but my understanding is that the 220V version has the same power rating. It's just 220V for the areas where that's how the power comes.
Dennis,
Thanks. This is most of the information I need. From my reading, the heaters in both versions are the same (in some places it's stated as 1500-Watts and in some 1550. The only Canadian distributor told me it isn't yet ceretified in an email just the other day. I still think it's odd they're only going to sell the 220-Volt unit here. Nevertheless, they apparently have a long waiting list of interested buyers.

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

yakster wrote:Voltage drop in your wiring won't be as big of an issue with 220 V vs. 120 V. I had the choice of running some 480 V runs in the desert for some night vision cameras years ago with step up / step down transformers or tapping into a 38,000 V AC source, I chose to work with the 480 V. If I had run 120 V the size of the copper would be huge and the price would be astronomical.
I don't anticipate any issue with IR drop. Even though it would be theoretically half at 220 (all other factors the same), this new board appears to compensate automatically. I've got some experience with high current switching power supplies, which from the specs this is undoubtedly a similar device (the clue is the wide band of acceptable input voltages). They are often very tolerant of the input voltage. I had one with a 120/220 internal tap; one was intended to set it to the appropriate voltage. In Singapore, I obviously switched it to the 220 tap. But when I moved back to Canada, I forgot and plugged it into 120. Son of a gun, it worked just fine. Eventually, I remembered and moved the tap...no difference in output.
BTW, you obviously know your way around power distribution. Personally, I'm not too fond of 480. 120 or 240 will give you a lift that you'll probably survive, 14.4, 72 kV and so on will throw you clear, and many survive. But I understand that for some reason, 480 will cause your hand to clamp down on it. I had a friend years ago, a commercial electrician, who got hit with it on the back of his hand, and he said the sudden fist cause hurt like heck for some time.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

Nunas wrote:Chris, from my reading I think a Variac would not be useful with this new board. Thanks for pointing me to that article.
I believe that this is right, a Variac shouldn't be necessary with the new board.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by baldheadracing »

Nunas wrote:... I still think it's odd they're only going to sell the 220-Volt unit here. ...
My guess is that they didn't want the additional cost of certifying the Bullet for home/consumer use.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann