Affording coffee as a hobby - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
OldNuc

#11: Post by OldNuc »

Actually if you are using a manual lever machine there are no VST baskets and a refractometer will merely add to your frustration. A manual lever requires an understanding of the zen of the machine for success. A <$20.00 scale will get you 0.01gm accuracy which is plenty and a Lido E will cost you 195+ship and do a perfectly fine job of grinding.

drgary
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary »

+1, and that's coming from an engineer.
Apogee wrote:I can't drive without a speedometer or make espresso without a refractometer. I did not have the ability to crack the code by taste alone. Nearly gave up entirely.
Technology has finally hit the coffee world in a big way. We have a HUD now;)
As I wrote above, different folks approach skill building here in different ways. The speedometer isn't a very good metaphor for espresso making, which is a matter of learning to cook. Maybe now that you have cracked the code with a refractometer you can experiment with taste differences. What you're going for is taste, isn't it?

Okay, back on topic. Some of us are saying to the OP that you can learn to achieve consistently delicious espresso without breaking the bank and by applying any of a number of principles and tools. Start with the basics, the 4 M's.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

OldNuc

#13: Post by OldNuc »

One of the first questions is to decide on exactly what you are planning on doing with coffee. Such things as taste, with or without milk or cream, many shots in a row or just 1. All will tend to shape the equipment decision. If you are looking for traditional Italian style espresso then that is relatively easy and it expands from there.

Marshall

#14: Post by Marshall »

stherric wrote:I'm curious as to how everyone best approaches financing this great hobby. I'm fairly young without much capital so I've learned to live with what I've got but that doesn't mean I don't dream everyday of a Kafatek 80mm flat and a LMLM. What does everyone do to afford coffee as their hobby? Do people often finance machines, pay in cash, take out a second mortgage, etc.? Mostly kidding about the second mortgage :D . Does the increase in purchasing power come with age? Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Well, yes, more purchasing power usually comes with age. But, if you want to save money, it's best to skip espresso altogether. A fabulous world of coffee varieties and roast profiles is available to you with a paper filter holder, kettle and $100-150 coffee grinder.
If you approach it as the hobby of discovering all the different regions, farms and varieties, instead of buying ever more expensive equipment, coffee is one of the cheapest hobbies you can have.
Marshall
Los Angeles

SlowRain

#15: Post by SlowRain »

Hudson, Randy G., and Marshall have all given excellent replies.

No, never finance. Save up your money for a mortgage. Stick with the simple things until then. Get into better espresso equipment only when you are finally ahead in your mortgage. You do not need a refractometer.

Edit: I should add, above all, to be content with your modest setup.

Apogee

#16: Post by Apogee »

A refractometer and bottomless portafilter will make it fantastically easier, but it may simply not be the technique for you. A refractometer is a HUD for making espresso; turning it off is brave. I commend those who do.

But it would actually save you money in the long run via increased consistentcy, error identification and yield. If you use a scale, refractometry will complete the circle to calc extraction yield.

I guarantee if you learn by taste you will underextract. Uh oh. This may get me in trouble.

drgary
Team HB

#17: Post by drgary »

Apogee wrote:I guarantee if you learn by taste you will underextract. Uh oh. This may get me in trouble.
Nah, it's just another way of saying "there's no accounting for taste," and I would add, taste isn't accounting ... :lol:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Apogee

#18: Post by Apogee »

But taste and mouth feel is now measurable to a degree. I believe they both can be explored at once with greater appreciation due to increased understanding of cause and effect. The art and the science take the magic away, I'm sorry. Espresso can be easy.

I propose you sell horse blinders in the town of elsewhere yon trader from the far lands.

RyanJE

#19: Post by RyanJE »

Marshall wrote:Well, yes, more purchasing power usually comes with age. But, if you want to save money, it's best to skip espresso altogether. A fabulous world of coffee varieties and roast profiles is available to you with a paper filter holder, kettle and $100-150 coffee grinder.
If you approach it as the hobby of discovering all the different regions, farms and varieties, instead of buying ever more expensive equipment, coffee is one of the cheapest hobbies you can have.
+1.

After diving into this for a year now full force I realize I should have spent more time learning about and trying different coffees (I.e. Varietals, processing, region, etc.). There's a lot to learn but it can also provide the most benefit and basically no additional cost.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Apogee

#20: Post by Apogee »

Marshall wrote:Well, yes, more purchasing power usually comes with age. But, if you want to save money, it's best to skip espresso altogether. A fabulous world of coffee varieties and roast profiles is available to you with a paper filter holder, kettle and $100-150 coffee grinder.

Wow do I like this comment! This is rather perfect