Advice: Upgrading from Gaggia Classic

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
MylarBono

#1: Post by MylarBono »

I've been using a Gaggia Classic, with a PID, for about twenty years now (2002 model, I believe) and I'm finally thinking about upgrading, so I've come for advice.

I only make 2 - 3 espressos a day, one of which is usually a milk drink (I have to admit that I like making latte art); I never make more than two drinks in a row.

I take good care of my machine, and I clean it regularly, but at the same time, I don't enjoy doing maintenance, and the less I have to do mechanically, the better. Especially when it comes to internal work.

I had a barista-tech friend add the PID back in the day because the inconsistency was a real pain; I also added other things, such as a brass shower screen holding plate, new steam wand, etc.

I don't have a lot of space, so the new machine can't be too big. The more compact, the better (though not a deciding factor).

Price range between 1 - 2,000.

My current grinder is a Baratza Preciso.

I appreciate any help you can give...

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

What kinds of beans do you use? Do you think you'd want to explore lighter roasts?

Does your budget include a new grinder?

Other than temperature stability, what do you want to improve?

happycat

#3: Post by happycat »

You might get way more value for the dollar by upgrading your grinder instead of the Gaggia.
LMWDP #603

TigerStripes

#4: Post by TigerStripes »

@mylarbono it would be helpful to know what your goal are with upgrading. As happycat mentioned - if your goal is better espresso - upgrading your grinder will have a much larger impact on the quality of espresso in the cup.

It sounds like you do enjoy straight espresso shots - so I would recommend upgrading the preciso to a niche, vario, super jolly etc... before you pull the trigger on a new machine.

If you are happy with the shots that the preciso gives you and simply want a seamless way to make milk drinks - the breville dual boiler and lelit Mara x are popular choices in your price range.

Cheers!
LMWDP #715

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

Have a look at the LeLit MaraX. It's small, does pretty much everything, it's in your budget and has a new HX design that minimizes the need for group flushing. It would be a big step up from what you've got. You can find some threads here on H-B about it. as others have said, you might want to upgrade your grinder; that said, I had a Preciso and found it more than adequate for my previous machine, which was a Magister HX.

MylarBono (original poster)

#6: Post by MylarBono (original poster) »

Thank you all for the responses so far. I appreciate it.

I'm in the U.S. and I tend to use medium-ish roasts from all different roasters here. Dragonfly Crema Dolce, Counter Culture Apollo / Big Trouble, Land of a Thousand Hills Vooba Vooba, Spyhouse Orion, etc. I change it up regularly.

I know the grinder is perhaps more important than the machine, and I'm definitely interested in upgrading my grinder, but my total budget (machine + grinder) is probably about 2.500.

Honestly, I'm looking for low maintenance, straightforward, consistency. Those are ideals, I suppose. I've been using my Gaggia Classic for twenty years, and I'm particular about espresso--but clearly not particular enough to have previously upgraded (beyond adding the PID long ago). Back when I got the Gaggia, I had a couple of friends who were competition baristas, and they taught me the basics of how to use it, but I've never really gone beyond the basics. I don't do a ton of tinkering, but I do a little.

Does the above seem to fit better with a MaraX? A Breville Dual Boiler? Or something else?

Other grinder recs?

Thank you all so much for the help...

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

In the US$2,000-2,500 range, you could go with something like:

Lelit Elizabeth, Lelit Mara X, BDB, ...

Niche Zero, DF64 (plan on some mods for usability), ...

I've read many positive opinions here about the modestly priced Eureka grinders as well. (I personally prefer a low-retention, single-dosing grinder, so I haven't looked at them very closely. Edit: Some have modded the Eureka grinders to work better for single-dosing.)

TigerStripes

#8: Post by TigerStripes »

@mylarbono Sounds like we drink pretty similar coffee. Cc Apollo is usually medium/ light roasted African beans. That is helpful to know. If I were you I'd go for a breville dual boiler with a niche zero. I honestly think that will tick all the boxes you're looking for. I also have a PID gaggia that I've modded with preheating, preinfusion, and pressure gauge. I toy with the idea of upgrading - but have a tough time justifying it because I can't tell a difference between the shots I'm pulling and the ones I pull on my buddy's DE1+.

The mara x is a popular machine but it doesn't have the temp stability of the breville. The dual boiler PID design will pull straight shots as good as any machine kit there. The dual boiler also has adjustable preinfusion which in my opinion is absolutely critical for getting the best shot out of a coffee like CC Apollo.

I'd actually consider the Mara x a downgrade from what you have now (for the purpose of pulling straight espresso shots) - since it doesn't have the adjustable PID you currently have.
LMWDP #715

MylarBono (original poster)

#9: Post by MylarBono (original poster) »

Thanks for all the replies so far. Just to clarify, I do like bright, African-based coffees like Apollo, but I drink them far, far less often because they tend not to sit well with my stomach. So I wouldn't base any decisions on that.

Do others agree with TigerStripes that a MaraX would be a downgrade/sideways move from a Gaggia with a PID?

A couple people have recommenced the Niche Zero grinder. Is this available in the U.S., for U.S. electrical outlets? Are there other, slightly less expensive options (I'm seeing the Niche at about $1,300)?

Thanks...

TigerStripes

#10: Post by TigerStripes »

I'll clarify my point about the Mara x to be fair to it.

It's seems like a great machine to go with if you want beauty, immediate steam, drink medium to dark roast beans - and you are of the mindset "set and forget" for temperature.

It's less well suited to medium light roasted / bright coffees where it may be useful to dial in the best temperature on a PID. I honestly don't know how the preinfusion works on a Mara x so I'm not the right person to compare that against the BDB.
LMWDP #715