Advice on purchasing 1st used espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Vopi

#1: Post by Vopi »

Hello,

I have the opportunity to buy a used 2017 Rocket Cellini Hx from a friend of a friend. She is asking $1100, is that a realistic good used price? (Nothing is wrong with machine, seller is only owner, and has all booklets & original accessories.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Compare to eBay- there is a refurb from a respected retailer for $1400, shipped, with a one year warranty. But a 3 year old machine, depending on usage and the quality of the water used, sounds like a decent deal.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

SWR

#3: Post by SWR »

My advice is try to find similar machines to see if the price is fair, but to me and more important, try to ascertain the previous owner's knowledge about the machine and how he/she took care of it. I will be selling my Anita soon and would welcome anyone's questions about how I maintained it, what water I used in it, how often backflushed and cleaned, etc. etc. Buying a used machine can be risky if it's not known what condition it's in or how the original owner cared for it. Best case scenario, you can try to gauge the original owner's knowledge and maintenance to try to alleviate some of the risk.