Advice on Lagom P64 burrs

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
nahhlt

#1: Post by nahhlt »

Hi! I have read through many threads about the differences between SSP HU, SSP MP (v2), and Mizen, but unfortunately, the more I read, the deeper rabbit hole gets.
My current setup includes a Niche Zero and a Fellow Ode with an SSP MP grinder, and I typically make 50% espresso/americano, 30% V60, and 20% milk drinks using light/medium roast beans. I prefer clarity over body, and I aim for a 1:2.5 - 1:3 espresso ratio.

Initially, I thought about replacing both of my grinders with a Lagom P64 SSP MP (v2), but now I have some reservations about whether this would be the best choice for my needs. Specifically, I am concerned that milk drinks may taste too acidic and boring, that dialing in the SSP MP may be burdensome, and that pulling a regular 9bar shot may be a struggle.

Mizen seems like a good option that could solve these problems, but because it is relatively new, I am hesitant to experiment with it. However, since it is coming from Option-O, I assume that it has undergone rigorous quality control and should be a solid choice.

After all of my research, I have narrowed down my options to three choices:
1) P64 Mizen.
2) P64 SSP HU. I may keep the Fellow Ode if I miss something in V60.
3) P64 SSP MP. I may keep the Niche Zero if the espressos are missing something important.

Jonk

#2: Post by Jonk »

You can try out the third option with your Ode. The steps are big and you probably shouldn't pull loads of shots, but the first few clicks off chirp are usable on mine.

Bastian987

#3: Post by Bastian987 »

I have recently gone through a similar process , and I'm not sure a good answer or advice exists ;) A lot is up to your taste and preferences.

I think one of the strong points of the P64 is that 64mm burr options exist, they are not very expensive (in particular, compared to the cost of the grinder), and swapping burrs is easy. You can directly compare and learn more about your personal preference. From my point of view, all combinations of two out of {HU, Mizen, MP} make sense.

nahhlt (original poster)

#4: Post by nahhlt (original poster) »

Thanks Jonk! Managed to pull a decent shot from Ode. Definitely can tell the difference between NZ and Ode and slightly leaning towards MP burrs. Now what's left is to try this again tomorrow with normal caffeine blood level and make a final decision :)

Jonk

#5: Post by Jonk »

Great :D I think the SSP MP are even better for espresso than filter. Nice and punchy shots, perhaps thin but still feels like espresso to me. I don't have any experience with Mizen, but SSP's cast burrs have been a bit on the boring side for me when used for light roast espresso - more akin to a concentrated pour over. They can handle dark roasts very well though, while you might find the MPs struggling even with medium roasts. Both are good dual-purpose burrsets, with the cast a bit more versatile. I have resigned to needing at least two grinders.

atao
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by atao »

I have a p64 with lab-sweet ssp, mp and hu. I also have a niche and an 804 with machines burrs.

Based on your goals, the Mizen and the lab-sweets seems like a reasonable solution. The HU aren't going to give you the clarity you'd hope for IMO. They're much closer to a niche taste profile, which is pretty blended. The lab-sweets give me a nice compromise of working pretty reasonable with many coffees, having pretty good clarity, not incredibly finicky. I believe the expectation is that the Mizen is similar.

The lab sweets do not give you those heavy body blended niche shots, but since it doesn't seem like you're looking for that, no problem, but otherwise I'd suggest an additional grinder :)

ojt

#7: Post by ojt »

Jonk wrote:I think the SSP MP are even better for espresso than filter.
In the 64mm category, what is your burr of choice for filter, if any? I'm not sure how to interpret the quoted part, whether it's "MPs are very good for filter, but also for espresso", or "MPs are good for filter but there are better ones and I prefer these for espresso in the end" :)

Slowly but surely searching for my next move here, and am kind of settling, for now, on the SSP MPv2 on some nice 64mm grinder like perhaps the Zerno Z1, or P64, or whatever will the the thing when it's time.
Osku

Jonk

#8: Post by Jonk »

I quite like the MPs for filter - it's what I use most of the time actually. They're just not perfect for every bag of beans. Sometimes for example the cast burrs fit much better.. but if I had to pick between those I'd choose MP (though there are other choices that have been more reliable in my experience, like Vario/Forté BG and 1zpresso K-Max - just not quite as good at their best). How's that for a disappointing answer? :lol:

But out of those 4 the MPs win hands down for espresso in my book, as long as the roasts are light.

ojt

#9: Post by ojt »

Oh I know how it is, just gathering some opinions :) Am hoping to get a taste out of some of the burrs, perhaps at Host in Milan this fall.
Osku