Advice on decent espresso machine, budget around $1000

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
NolaPaul

#1: Post by NolaPaul »

I've been pulling my hair out this past week or so trying to decide what machine to get for home to replace my SuperAutomatic that I plan on bringing with me to work. I've been using a superautomatic the last few years solely because it's easy and with my work I don't always have time to make espresso in the morning.

I just picked up a Macap M4 grinder for what I feel was a great price ($100) and now have to figure out what to use for the actual coffee.

I've been bouncing between a La Pavoni Europiccola, a Faema Due (there's one locally for sale in working order, though it's plumb in and 220v, at $500), a La Nuova Era Cuadra, and a couple of LeLit's. There have been a few machines in the classifieds that will probably be gone once I decide on something, but notable is a Quickmill Anita for about the same price as the La Nuova Era Cuadra new.

Obviously I'd like to not spend a fortune, but over the last few days I've warmed up to spending $1000, though I'd rather go cheaper. One issue is my work schedule constantly shifts. I work in the film industry and my call time varies from day to day making me worry about warm up time, a machine that could stay on for a few hours would be ideal or one that heats up quickly, like the Europiccola.

I mostly drink espresso, very rarely milk drinks but that may be due to the superautomatic being just awful with milk (and not much better with espresso).

I'm leaning towards a Europiccola, but from all the extensive reading I've gotten a little spooked, not so much by using the lever itself, but by the different iterations, the two power buttons, etc.

I've been driving myself crazy checking the classified sections, craigslist, ebay and reading everything I can on home barista and coffegeeks to the point where I'm incapable of making a decision. I'd love an E61/HX but my priority is simply a good espresso maker that'll pair well with my Macap. My Saeco Superautomatic set the bar pretty low.

Basically I'm worried that if I get something like the Lelit, a Silvia, a Pasquini, or a Oscar (or a La Pavoni) that I'm going to outgrow it and want an E61, which if that's the case I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet now and get an entry level E61.

nuketopia

#2: Post by nuketopia »

Quickmill Anita is hands down, a machine with no excuses that can consistently pull good shots and make steamed milk of good quality.

If you're looking for baseline at the does it for real and consistently, I'd look at the Anita or its equivalents.

NolaPaul (original poster)

#3: Post by NolaPaul (original poster) »

I just enquired about the Anita. Since I posted I've started leaning towards it. Also remembered my previous movie owes me money which will cover the bulk on the the Anita, So i can in some way justify the additional expensive

Trimethylpurine

#4: Post by Trimethylpurine »

What is your timeline? You could wait and see if these guys efforts pan out...

www.decentespresso.com

Especially given your title!

T
LMWDP #520 Trimethylpurine

thecatch83

#5: Post by thecatch83 »

Consider the QM Silvano, as it uses a thermoblock to steam and brew simultaneously. Build quality is usual top notch Quick Mill, and the new Evo version features a shot timer built into the PID.

NolaPaul (original poster)

#6: Post by NolaPaul (original poster) »

Bought a Quickmill Anita that came with a Vario Preciso Virtuoso grinder, bottomless portafilter, tamper, and an extra pump. Figure I'll send the grinder and keep my Macap M5 instead. Unless the Vario is better?