Advice on choosing Mazzer Super Jolly or DF64

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Trull

#1: Post by Trull »

Dear all, I have the posibility to buy a newer DF64 (usd 655) or used Mazzer SJ (usd 550). I have the La Pavoni EP professional (recently acquired)
I read a lot about both grinders, but I will need your experiences and suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

Well, they're both 64 mm flats, but otherwise, quite different grinders; one's a single doser and the other a rather large hopper grinder. What's your coffee consumption? If it's only a few shots a day, then the DF64 would be good, but you might be better off and richer :wink: with a quality hand grinder. If you are pulling a lot of shots at a time, then I'd go with the SJ.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
Jonk

#3: Post by Jonk »

It's not so easy to pull many shots in a row with a Pavoni lever anyway and the baskets are small, so a quality hand grinder is a perfect match. For example an 1Zpresso J-Max would be an affordable choice that I would assume to outperform both electric grinders mentioned unless you want to use very light roasts.

Maak

#4: Post by Maak »

I've never seen a df 64 in the flesh so don't know how well it's built. But being single dose out of the box is a good thing. However I have a super customized sj with ssp burrs and it's excellent, though it's taken a lot of time and effort customizing to single dose properly for true zero retention.. I bought it over 20 years ago second hand and I use it daily. It's never skipped a beat...will the df64 last that well.

Trull (original poster)

#5: Post by Trull (original poster) »

Now there is another player on the court, :D a manual grinder, who had not thought of it at all. It is true that with the Pavoni I am not going to do several shots. I really don't know how good it is to have a manual grinder. Anyone with experience? Thanks for the feedback.

Jonk

#6: Post by Jonk »

Trull wrote:I really don't know how good it is to have a manual grinder. Anyone with experience?
I replaced a Mazzer Major with a Kinu M47 and used that as my main grinder for about a year. I went with that manual grinder because I preferred the flavor, it was silent, easy to adjust and well suited to single dosing. It was actually faster compared to brushing out the chute in a Mazzer to get the last few grams. It was nice to get some counter space back and the only drawback if you're not serving a crowd is really that you have to put some work in.

For the very lightest roasts out there it can be a bit tough to grind, but for normal espresso roast it's very smooth and nice experience. There are lots of good candidates out there now but best value for money seems to be 1zpresso. The J-Max is supposed to have a slightly modified burr compared to Kinu M47 but I wouldn't be surprised if performance is similar.

_Ryan_

#7: Post by _Ryan_ »

Super Jolly with a 300g hopper which can be ordered as a Mini part number (it fits).
The JS beats a Mazzer Mini E which also has 64mm burrs (I own), the SJ has a beefier motor if you're wanting to try out SSP burrs in future too.
The Mazzer Mini E beats the 1zpresso J-max which someone else suggested (I also own).

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
BKH

#8: Post by BKH »

I have a millennium EP, DF64 (standard burrs from Espressooutlet I think with single silicone flap), and the 1zpresso JxPro. I think the JxPro is excellent for the money especially for the EP since the grind cup fits perfectly in the basket. It takes me about 40 seconds to grind 13-14 grams of coffee.

I also like the DF64 and use it regularly because motors are nice :lol: I expect it to last a long time and would recommend it for single dosing for the price. To put in perspective, I also have a Breville smart grinder and Baratza Sette270 that I don't like as much and have had problems with clogged impellers, motors grinding to a halt, and inconsistencies when adjusting grind settings.

Pressino

#9: Post by Pressino »

I think the SJ is rock solid and super strong and will likely beat the DF64 in terms of durability. SJ's as well as non-e Minis will cost about $150 to convert to low retention single dose via the DW mod (IMO the nicest option), though it can be done cheaper. I wouldn't buy a new SJ with this plan, but it makes sense if you can find a good used one for $450 or less. The strength of the SJ motor will be a plus over the DF64 if you want to upgrade to different burrs than can have a tendency to load the motor more.

Keep in mind we're talking 64mm flats. In that rangle the SJ (or a Mini w/ converted SJ burr carriers) would be at least as capable as any other 64mm flat burr grinder (as regards basic grinding results...not discussing anything else like computerized control, etc.).

MNate
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by MNate »

I have been very pleasantly surprised by my SJ. I did the pop bottle (sorry, I'm Minnesotan... ah, soda bottle for the rest of you) funnel and brushing out the grinds is easy (I got a puffer but find it not necessary). The DF has a flap... so I don't see how it is more of a single doser than the SJ if you don't use the hopper. But I'd hope to find a SJ more in the $300 range used. (I previously had a Compak F8 with bigger burrs and a better adjustment system and overall I liked that much better, but single dosing is easier on the SJ because the chute is easier to mod to sweep out. I rather regret not 3D printing a better mini-chute for it. I got the SJ as I wait on a grinder on order).

But yeah, my Pharos and Kinu M47 both produce very nice drinks, as good or better than the SJ, especially in the comfort espresso medium to dark range. But Im lazy and like the motor.