Advice on 1991 fully rebuilt Olympia Maximatic

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
whonce

#1: Post by whonce »

Good Morning all,

After many months of secretly lurking in your wonderful website and reading I decided to ask for advice this morning.

I found in my local classifieds a 1991 Olympia Express Maximatic. This machine is said to have been fully rebuilt 2 years ago and from the pictures this seems to be true. From the outside this machine looks spotless. Even new orange paint on the side panels.

This machine would be my first HX machine and a 25 year old one. The seller is asking 900$. I am not quite sure at which price point I should pull the trigger or I should pull it at all.

Is there anything in particular except testing the machine that I should ask or be on lookout for?

I know these machines are tanks and have a wonderful reputation.

Thank you very much for your help :D

whonce (original poster)

#2: Post by whonce (original poster) »

No love? Come on guys I was counting on you :D

russel

#3: Post by russel »

Seller is asking $600 over on CG. Looks nice from the outside.

Maximatic/Coffex/Livietta specific: Make note of any asbestos on the boiler, you may want to remove that depending on your personal preferences. If it's there it should be in very good condition. Trouble with it is that it can obscure the true condition of the boiler. Look for a water tank in good condition, the modern replacement part is Stainless and very expensive so you're sort of stuck with what it comes with.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

whonce wrote:No love? Come on guys I was counting on you :D
I believe you are referring to a current Maximatic currently be sold in your area. There are reviews here that can be searched with regards to the Maximatic which would help in your decision. For me Non mi piace but then again I'm lever biased.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Eastsideloco

#5: Post by Eastsideloco »

Olympia stopped adding the asbestos lining to the boiler circa 1983. So that's not an issue with this machine.

A $900 asking price for a 1991 Maximatic is kinda nutty, IMO. The fair market value is probably closer to $600. That would be a pretty good deal if the machine is refurbished, as advertised, and operating properly.

If you want to get the same machine and save some money, just keep an eye out for vintage Pasquini Livietta. These were made by Olympia Express, but rebranded by Pasquini. They probably sell on eBay for $400 to $500, instead of $600+.

ecuew

#6: Post by ecuew »

Eastsideloco wrote:The fair market value is probably closer to $600.
OP is in Montréal ; right now $900 CAD is about $690 USD, so we're getting close here. You're also saving on shipping.

I say go see the machine, and buy it if you like it.

whonce (original poster)

#7: Post by whonce (original poster) »

Thanks guys.

I am going to see it tonight.

ecuew you are correct its 900CAD$ so around 650USD.