Advice for espresso machine upgrade, budget $2000 to $5000

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Savantsa1

#1: Post by Savantsa1 »

Hello Fellow Espresso Heads,

Need some advice. I want to up grade from a Nouva Simonelli Musica. The steam wand on the Musica is really awesome. But I want more control over extraction. Any recommendations?
I started with the Breville Barista 7 years ago and went to the VBM Junior then to the Musica.
Budget is between 2000 to 5000. I have looked at La Marzocco Mini Linea.

Any advice would be appreciated.... :D

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

What kinds of coffee do you pull?

"More control over extraction" is a knob. What do you want to achieve in the cup that you're not getting today?

Arafel

#3: Post by Arafel »

Go for the LMLM and don't look back. The most temp stable home machine on the market (Rick Bond of the Coffee Machinist even says it's better than a GS3 in that regard). Steam for days with excellent microfoam.

Kwis

#4: Post by Kwis »

I am in the same situation. I've had the Musica for 10 years and am looking to upgrade. Usually make 5-6 milk drinks a day. Musica has great (almost too much) steam; I almost always use the same beans, so really don't care about pressure profiling. Have also considered the LMLM but I like the Musica's volumetric controls and would have to go to an GS3 ($7100) to get those from LM. Another option is the Eagle One Prima, which stays in the NS ecosystem but has had mixed reviews and is $5900. I'm also concerned about its long-term reliability. Bezzera Matrix DE is a possibility, as it is a DB with volumetrics. Have also considered the Profitec Pro 600, ECM Synchronik, and Quick Mill QM67. As I'm not going to plumb a machine, the lack of a rotary pump in those isn't an issuer me. None of these are volumetric but all are in the $2000 -$5000 price range. Wish I could try them out before deciding but don't live near a showroom with any of these brands, so feedback from users of any of these machines would be appreciated.

GDK

#5: Post by GDK »

I do not understand why a good number of expensive higher end machines refuse to implement volumetric capability of any sort. It is not an expensive addition and the fact that some implementations have less than stellar precision is a poor excuse. Do add on modules exist for integrating machines with Acacia, for example?