Advice finding espresso machines for RV living

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
RocketC

#1: Post by RocketC »

We currently have a Rocket Cellini Evoluzione & Mazzer grinder. Have enjoyed countless espresso with this set up. Since we are downsizing to a 5th wheel we are looking for a lighter weight and smaller footprint espresso maker. Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

maxbmello

#2: Post by maxbmello »

Maybe a robot or flair? That way you are using less power utilizing a kettle for your hot water, which can also be used for pour over coffee and tea. Minimal space would be taken up as well which would be at a premium in your new living situation.

If you need to be able to steam milk, look at a small lever like a Cremona or pavoni.

RocketC (original poster)

#3: Post by RocketC (original poster) »

Haven't heard of those, will check them out, Thx

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Here's my $.02 - for point of reference, I have been living full time in a 34' diesel pusher motorhome with two slideouts for about 6 or 7 months. I thought about a "real " espresso machine for a while, and considered buying a Cremina (which is actually a very nice RV machine for a number of reasons). It really depends on how much time and counter space you have to prepare, and possibly how much space you have to store the gear. I had experience with the Flair, and while it makes an excellent straight espresso, I found it to be messy. I don't mind messy too much in the house, but in the RV it would just be too much. If you are boondocking there is also the matter of power and the amount of water (brewing and cleaning up).

Start out with a temperature controlled cordless kettle (which can serve many other cooking needs) and an aeropress or maybe just a pourover set up. Both are very easy to clean up and take little space. In our first RV (a 28" Rexhall AIrex) we used the Aeropress. Easy to use and not terribly sensitive to parameters. We fresh ground with a Baratza Virtuoso.

I talk about what we are currently doing for coffee in my latest blog chapter.

All FWIW, which likely aint much...
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

When we returned to North America, we lived and traveled for over five years in a 40-foot diesel pusher. We tried the Aeropress route, but as good as it is, it isn't espresso. We also tried a mokka pot...same result. Prior to returning, we lived for many years on a small motor yacht in Asia; on it, we had quite a bit more room and used a Breville Cafe Roma. So, we bought a 120-volt version of that and a Breville 450 grinder for the motor home. This was espresso, although some would argue not very good espresso. In an effort to up our game, we tried a Breville Barista. It was better as it allowed the use of unpressurized baskets (although I suppose the Roma might have worked with these too...never tried). Our friends had an SBDU (Silvia I think) in their motor home. We could make our espresso faster and using less electricity, as our Brevilles used thermoblocks. Electrical consumption is a big deal if you're nomadic...not so much if you're into marinas and RV parks.

So, my suggestion is, if you're nomadic, get a good quality thermoblock machine. If you're always hooked to the grid, then a small SBDU or HX (preferably the latter) would be my suggestion.

For grinding, we originally used a hand made one we got from Turkey...~330 turns per shot...whew. This was replaced by the Breville 450 (not a good grinder for espresso). If you go the manual route, I'd suggest an Orphan Espresso Pharos 2 for quality of grind and speed of grinding. If you go the electric route, as much as I like our Sette, the Niche might be a better fit for an RV.