Acaia Lunar worth the cost??

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
DJL

#1: Post by DJL » Oct 07, 2019, 12:36 pm

So I broke down and ordered a Silver Acaia Lunar at $300 (Canadian) which is crazy money for a small digital scale. I haven't received the device yet but already feeling remorse for this impulse purchase (I will have 30 days to return it). I've watched many YT videos on it, and read lots of reviews, comments here on HB. Seems the reviews are mixed, some love it, others not so much. Retailers like Clive and SCG recommend it, but some home-users aren't impressed.

A bit about my espresso experience: I have a new QM E61, HX machine and drink milk based espresso drinks. I care about improving my technique and goals are to learn and make great espresso for myself and family.

After sober 2nd thoughts, here are my reasons for thinking this purchase is foolish:
  • For an extra $300 I could have purchased an espresso machine with a built in PID/timer + a $10 digital scale. :-(
  • Seems like the Brewster coffee scale at 1/3 the cost has the same features. :-(
  • I enjoy using technology, but the Acaia apps sound mediocre at best. :-(
  • Acaia doesn't seem to be supporting the Lunar with timely firmware updates, bug fixes?
I realize some of this subjective and milage varies, but would appreciate if Lunar owners can chime in and set the record straight on this device, its usefulness and overall experience from cost/value, technology perspective.

Thanks in advance!

Elliot
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Elliot » Oct 07, 2019, 12:46 pm

Definitely always a "your mileage may vary" with these things.
I have the Acaia Lunar and I do use it.

Do I think it's worth it? No. Then again, I am not super duper tied to the technology aspects of espresso. Absolutely nothing against those types. In fact, I wish sometimes that I was more that way. . . I am simply not.

App was opened once and then never again. For me, it's just a small and super accurate scale that fits nicely on a drip tray.
★ Helpful

blondica73
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by blondica73 » replying to Elliot » Oct 07, 2019, 12:52 pm

I share the same sentiment, it is small, accurate and fits on the drip tray and I don't care much about the app. It also shows time and weight on the same screen. If someone came out with a similar size scale for a fraction of the prices, I would grab that one. I think I saw Dave C using a different scale that is no longer made.

DJL

#4: Post by DJL » Oct 07, 2019, 12:55 pm

Elliot wrote:Definitely always a "your mileage may vary" with these things.
I have the Acaia Lunar and I do use it.

Do I think it's worth it? No. Then again, I am not super duper tied to the technology aspects of espresso. Absolutely nothing against those types. In fact, I wish sometimes that I was more that way. . . I am simply not.

App was opened once and then never again. For me, it's just a small and super accurate scale that fits nicely on a drip tray.
Do you use it each time you pull a shot? How does it fit into your workflow/routine? Did it help you by improving your espresso quality assuming this was a goal?

DJL

#5: Post by DJL » Oct 07, 2019, 12:57 pm

blondica73 wrote:I If someone came out with a similar size scale for a fraction of the prices, I would grab that one. I think I saw Dave C using a different scale that is no longer made.
You mean like the Brewster scale at $100 (Canadian) ? Probably $75 US.

Elliot
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Elliot » Oct 07, 2019, 1:01 pm

DJL wrote:Do you use it each time you pull a shot? How does it fit into your workflow/routine? Did it help you by improving your espresso quality assuming this was a goal?
I do use it every time I pull a shot, but to be honest, I think as a habit.
I should mention I use a manual lever machine (Olympia Cremina) -- not sure if that's relevant.

So, timing and weighing my shot definitely helps when dialing in the grind on a bean. That was the big win on my end. That being said, I think that there are probably other scales out there that would check the box for that type of thing. As for whatever "more" the Lunar has over other scales? I don't use it.

It times and weighs my shot as I pull. Weighs my beans prior to grinding, etc. That's it.

DJL

#7: Post by DJL » Oct 07, 2019, 1:12 pm

I just realized I should've posed this "Buying Advice" apologies to moderator...

cpreston

#8: Post by cpreston » Oct 07, 2019, 2:19 pm

DJL wrote:You mean like the Brewster scale at $100 (Canadian) ? Probably $75 US.
The Lunar has an inverted design that is pretty much drip proof. My Brewista eventually failed from water damage when used for pulling shots. I think the lunar is certainly a luxury but it is faster, easier to read, and more durable.

DJL

#9: Post by DJL » replying to cpreston » Oct 07, 2019, 2:29 pm

Thanks cpreston. I've read about the Lunar's design / water resistance feature, and other improved build qualities (metal case vs. plastic).
Mine is on the way, just not convinced I made a sound purchase decision due to cost...but we shall see...one thing I noticing is most "real world" users seem to like it once they get over the upfront cost. Anyway, I just blew over $3k on an espresso machine and grinder, may as well get the cadillac of coffee scales. ;-)

Bmccall

#10: Post by Bmccall » Oct 07, 2019, 6:01 pm

DJL wrote:..... Anyway, I just blew over $3k on an espresso machine and grinder, may as well get the cadillac of coffee scales. ;-)
This is how I typically justify my espresso related purchases, haha