Acaia Lunar Auto-Tare Auto-Start Timer Mode Question

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Ken5

#1: Post by Ken5 »

I am really intrigued by the Lunar's Mode 5 - 'Auto-Tare Auto-Start Timer Mode - Triangle and Square.' Does this mode work well for those Lunar owners that have tried it?

I have the Robot, therefore no free hand to start a timer. I would love to be able to put the cup on the scale and have that split second to move my hands to the levers and wait for the beep to start the press of the levers

Does it work as well as it sounds on paper? I understand that acaia came out with an update that allowed longer preinfusions by giving options on how long it takes before the scale zeros out with no register of weight.

Hoping it works well!

Ken

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by rhtrevino »

I use it almost every day, personally, and it has worked pretty much flawlessly and as advertised. I'm using the default settings and it takes about a second to auto-tare and then you get the sensitivity and response that makes the Acaia scales what they are...very fast scales.

Admittedly, I've had my Lunar for several years now and haven't tried anything else. Hope this helps!

Ken5 (original poster)

#3: Post by Ken5 (original poster) »

Thanks Ryan, great to hear!

How do you find the accuracy of the scale off center? Since I have the robot I would have to use the scale diagonally to get only part of the scale under the robot as the legs are only 3 & 3/4" 's apart. I asked Acaia about this through their website and the rep said:

"The corner tolerance for the Lunar is 0.5g. The scale is designed for accurate weighing in the center." Not sure what she meant for 'corner' and I showed her where the cup would have to be while placed on a piece of paper drawn to scale.

She still recommended the cup to be as centered as possible. Do you think the scale would be off much if the cup was placed there?

She did bring up an interesting fact about a possible issue with using the scale this way. I probably would have made the mistake and found out quickly enough on my own, but I figured I would mention it here just in case someone searches for this combo here on the forum. She basically said to make sure the scale does not touch the legs when used in this application as the sides are part the weighing tray, due to the water resistant design, and it would throw off the reading.

Ken

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Lunar Scale Owners- which of the six modes do you use?

I just placed a cup in six spots including edges and corners and got the same readings.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by rhtrevino »

Likewise. Here's a shot of my Acme demitasse cup right on the edge of the scale. It registered and auto-tared with no problems.

Ad-85

#6: Post by Ad-85 »

Hi Ken,
I use Acaia Pyxis with my robot but only in manual mode cause I find the first drips always triggering the timer which leads to times I hate to see. With levers the timing of pump machines don't apply so what I do is I preinfuse til I hit 0.4g-0.9g depending on grind size and preinfusion pressure then I hold the lever with one hand, press the timer and start pressing down the levers. I know it's not perfect but that's how I do it. Enjoy your coffee
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

chillinsd

#7: Post by chillinsd »

i use Acaia Lunar auto-tare auto-start time mode with robot. i do 10s pre-infusion, it works fine.

Ken5 (original poster)

#8: Post by Ken5 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help out, and to test the accuracy off center. I did not think it would be as off as the rep stated.

I did see your thread on the popular modes the other day, very helpful thread. I did not see anyone mention that they use mode 5, so I gather it is not that popular. Mode 5 is the main reason I am looking at the Lunar since the Pyxis fits better on the robot.

Ken

bbender716

#9: Post by bbender716 »

The Lunar was the single best accessory I bought for my espresso station. It has been crazy accurate, fast, reliable, and has gotten soaked and come out the other side unscathed.

I know the Pyxis is smaller but most feedback I have seen hasn't been entirely positive though I can't out my finger exactly on why.

mathof

#10: Post by mathof »

bbender716 wrote: I know the Pyxis is smaller but most feedback I have seen hasn't been entirely positive though I can't out my finger exactly on why.
I use a Pyxis daily. What's supposed to be wrong with it?