$5000 budget: Which espresso machine? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
poison (original poster)

#11: Post by poison (original poster) »

Ben Z. wrote:I remember seeing astras in like every Italian bakery in CT/MA. Good machines. I think if you want a big step up you'll need to go with one of the new, fancier machines with profiling, etc.

That being said, I could hook you up with my Elektra 60s if you are interested. Rotary pump is nice, otherwise, the bigger advantage is probably just that it looks way cooler.
Astra is/was amazing (they got bought out a couple years ago, Richard is not in charge, I'm not impressed with the CS and pricing now). The Pro has performed flawlessly for over a decade, only recently requiring a new pump and heating element. The espresso is as good as any local cafe, steam power is prodigious with the 2.6l boiler, and it's staved off upgradeitis really well, being so damn capable and reliable. But here I am, upgradeitis'ing away. :twisted:

The Elektra was always on my radar, along with the Jr. As far as I know, it's too tall for my cabinets. I'm also reconsidering boiler sizing; I'm a fan of big boilers, but new technology is making them kind of irrelevant, and I'm not sure I need to be heating a 5.5l boiler up for home use.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Pressino »

Looks like the Nurri steam wand might not fit under the cabinets...

The Astra is a wonderful compact machine (and made in the USA, if that matters) and you'd be hard pressed to find another equally robust yet compact e61 HX machine with steam wand. There are other ones w/o steam wands that would fit under your cabinet, but I doubt they'd make better espresso.

A Decent machine (without the tablet) would be nice and compact and, if you don't mind the computerized nature of the machine, would otherwise tick your boxes and come in under budget...

poison (original poster)

#13: Post by poison (original poster) »

Primacog wrote:I used to have an izzo pompei my kitchen which was smaller than your kitchen. Needless to say, a single group izzo pompei is far bigger and heavier than most home based espresso machines but I never found it to be a problem.

The lever arm did block the upper cabinet door that was directly above it but it was no big deal - if I needed to access it, I merely pulled the lever down (keeping my hand on tbe lever just in the case I accidentally jogged it and released it while I was opening or closing the door of that cabinet).

5k gives you a lot of room to play with and many worthy machines to be considered. Since you want a machine that will elevate your espresso experience over what you already have and you seem to be partial to spring levers, I can speak from experience about the Nurri L-type SA spring lever as I took delivery of mine a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have been making the best espresso and lattes I have ever been able to make and more easily too - even compared to my izzo pompei that I had to sell to make way for it. You can control the temperature for the grouphead, brew boiler and steam boiler and you can control the level of preinfusion pressure that is supplied by a rotary pump. Ther are two paddles that you can use to vent the grouphead to end the shot or to switch on the rotary pump. The machine is consequently very versatile and it has the same la san marco type design for lever grouphead that the izzo employs. Furthermore it is a real looker.

video

I had another look at your photo of your kitchen and the countertop does look rather shallow. Personally i would always prefer a lever macbine but if the size is a problem you could consider the Nurri GTO pressure profiling pump machine. It has a tiny footprint and has not only got double boilers but also a saturated group head.

video
The GTO is definitely on my list, but info is scarce, I'm not sure I feel like waiting, and there's the unknown reliability factor. Definitely cool, and they changed the look a lot; they sent me a picture of the final prototype (and a request not to post it), which looks a lot more like their lever machine.

poison (original poster)

#14: Post by poison (original poster) »

Pressino wrote:Looks like the Nurri steam wand might not fit under the cabinets...

The Astra is a wonderful compact machine (and made in the USA, if that matters) and you'd be hard pressed to find another equally robust yet compact e61 HX machine with steam wand. There are other ones w/o steam wands that would fit under your cabinet, but I doubt they'd make better espresso.

A Decent machine (without the tablet) would be nice and compact and, if you don't mind the computerized nature of the machine, would otherwise tick your boxes and come in under budget...
I do. The Micra's connectedness is more than I'd like, I certainly don't want to wrangle an ipad.

I think the Nurri steam wand would be in front of my cabinet, it should be fine. I'd definitely have to check dimensions before buying, though.

Primacog

#15: Post by Primacog »

poison wrote:The GTO is definitely on my list, but info is scarce, I'm not sure I feel like waiting, and there's the unknown reliability factor. Definitely cool, and they changed the look a lot; they sent me a picture of the final prototype (and a request not to post it), which looks a lot more like their lever machine.
See in this video that was just posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prUG4b845_I

The other smaller prototype machine to the right of the leva machine - is that the new version of the GTO ? It appears that nurri is wanting to adopt the same family design language to relate the GTO more closely to the L-type leva.

The perils of the early adopter is that there will be some imperfect things that will crop up due to developmental teething pains so a good idea may be to wait for the product to mature a little longer and work past its initial introduction. You don't sound like you are in a hurry anyway to change machines and it seems to me that the GTO or whatever it wil be renamed as in the future will supply everything you want at a price that is quite unbeatable and with Italian design looks that also elevate it as well, sp you have the ability to sit for a while and watch how that machine develops.

Still, if I were you, I would really look into the nurri L-type leva. Its ability to produce remarkably good tasting coffee with seeming ease and shift from different roast levels without any fuss and to vary temperature of the grouphead at the press of a button is quite compelling and once you get used to it, machines that cannot do that will not do, at least for me.....
LMWDP #729

Primacog

#16: Post by Primacog »

poison wrote:I do. The Micra's connectedness is more than I'd like, I certainly don't want to wrangle an ipad.

I think the Nurri steam wand would be in front of my cabinet, it should be fine. I'd definitely have to check dimensions before buying, though.
My own current counter space is quite scarce and limited and the nurri leva fits. It is a good idea to check dimensions though and I did the same thing to make sure before buying it.

Another thought that just occurred to me - if you are a fan of analogue and mechanical design as opposed to apps and touchscreens etc, the nurri leva should fit your bill to a T. It has no touchscreens nor digital displays other than the PID. Apart from the pid, there are only 3 buttons - an off/off switch, and switches for the brew boiler and the steam boiler. There are 2 manual paddles to give a purely tactile control interface. This kind of elegant minimalist design was one of the factors that sent me to the direction of getting the nurri.
LMWDP #729

poison (original poster)

#17: Post by poison (original poster) »

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!

:D yes, that is the new gto in the video. And my wife said hell no to a lever.....but you know, shipping mixups happen, language barriers are real.

Primacog

#18: Post by Primacog replying to poison »

LOL Forgive my enthusiasm as I'm probably still in the honeymoon phase with my machine...Once your wife tastes a coffee made by a good lever like this one, there's no going back to a pump machine!
LMWDP #729

poison (original poster)

#19: Post by poison (original poster) »

I think you're right, better to ask forgiveness than permission and all that, right? Haha, not sure I'll take that route, but I'll definitely look at the nurri Leva thread harder!

poison (original poster)

#20: Post by poison (original poster) »

As much as I'd LOVE that Nurri Leva, it won't fit, just too deep and too tall. The GTO is still an option. I'd say it's between the Micra, GTO, or Bianca.

You know, keeping within the parameters of my own original post. :D :roll: