2021 Vibiemme Domobar Super Digital/Electronic

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
strider

#1: Post by strider »

After 10 years using my trusty Bezzera HX machine for mostly milk drinks, I stumbled across James Hoffmann's youtube channel and discovered what I'm missing out on in straight espresso. I've also quickly found the limitations in my current setup (12 bar OPV, HX temperature instability), so I've started shopping for an upgrade.

I'm interested in a dual boiler with PID and flow control/pressure profiling and looking at the usual suspects (Profitec 700, ECM Synchronika, Lelit Bianca 2) but in my search I've also come across what looks to be a really good sale price on VBM's new lineup of espresso machines from a Canadian retailer who I've purchased from before and trust. The only thing is these new machines are so new that I haven't been able to find any reviews or real world experiences with them.
https://www.vbmespresso.com/en/home-bar ... per/#intro

I would likely be looking to purchase the Super Digital (manual preinfusion, programmable brew pressure profiles) or Super Electronic (programmable preinfusion, programmable brew pressure profiles).

A couple questions:
Given the specs of the machine - is there anything that sticks out that would leave one wanting another upgrade in a short span?
Thoughts on real-time manual flow control vs programmed pressure profile?
The price is $3,000 CAD from MSRP of $4,000, compared to ~$3,800 for the Lelit, $4,200 for the Profitec, $4,600 for the ECM. What would you all do - give it a shot or stick with tried and true?

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
Easton

#2: Post by Easton »

Hey I believe that if you buy any of those machines you will be in a happy phase for a month or two and then decide you want to take it up a step. SInce all of the machines you listed are $3000 to $4500, im guessing that is around how much you wan to spend. So I have 3 options and you don't have to choose any and could go with any of those but I want you to get the best machine that you can for what you want to spend!

1st: Decent DE1 or any of the Decent machines
if you haven't heard of them they are basically the best machine you can get for home. They are very good for flow profile you can change how you brew to make it taste like the shot was pulled with a lever machine and to any other profile.

2nd: La Marzocco gs3
This is one of my personal favorite machines ever and I know you did say you want digital or electronic but this takes on espresso at a whole new level for home use. This machine is so powerful that it could be used in a commercial setting if needed. I believe there is one for sale on the Buy/Sell forum on HB that you can look at and I believe this is also a very nice machine.

Both of these machines are so far advanced that you will probably not ever need to upgrade to a better one because well it doesn't get much better.

So those are just a couple options I think would be good for you and I hope to hear from you when you decide which of your machines or one of these machines you will be going with.

strider (original poster)

#3: Post by strider (original poster) »

Easton wrote:Hey I believe that if you buy any of those machines you will be in a happy phase for a month or two and then decide you want to take it up a step. SInce all of the machines you listed are $3000 to $4500, im guessing that is around how much you wan to spend. So I have 3 options and you don't have to choose any and could go with any of those but I want you to get the best machine that you can for what you want to spend!

1st: Decent DE1 or any of the Decent machines

2nd: La Marzocco gs3

Both of these machines are so far advanced that you will probably not ever need to upgrade to a better one because well it doesn't get much better.
Thanks for the additional suggestions Easton. The price range I've been looking at is about $3,000 to $4,500 Canadian dollars ($2,500-$4,000 USD), but as I've started looking at some non-e61 machines that range has been slowly creeping up.

I've seen the Decent and definitely have considered it, but unfortunately being in Canada is a disadvantage. After shipping, the DE1PRO works out to just under $6,000 CAD (or $4,900 USD) which is a premium of $1,100 USD compared to buying it in the USA, so I won't buy it just on principle.

Likewise, the GS3 is $9,300 CAD here... that will be the grail which I'll look to acquire in another decade or so :lol:

Others that I've come across in my search are the Crem One 2B LFPP (this would take the top spot if there were any Canadian retailers), and the Elektra Verve for $3,700USD (no profiling, but saturated group). Not a lot of info on these machines either.. I seem to pick the underdogs.

Capuchin Monk

#4: Post by Capuchin Monk »

strider wrote:Others that I've come across in my search are the Crem One 2B LFPP
I was looking at Domobar Super Digital the other day and thought that it would be a competitor to Crem One 2B LFPP. However, Domobar Super Digital drip tray isn't made to be plumbed even though its water supply is. On the other hand, Crem One 2B LFPP drip tray is made to be plumbed but its water supply isn't.

If some company can come up with both water supply and drain options to be plumbed and have programmable pressure profiling at this price range... :cry: