2019 Izzo Valexia II vs 2023 Izzo Alex Duetto IV+

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
decurb7

#1: Post by decurb7 »

Hi Everyone,

First time post here. I am considering a new espresso machine for my recently remodeled kitchen. I have configured things to allow a plumbable machine with a 20 amp GFI outlet. My search has been narrowed down to 2 Izzo machines: 2019 Valexia Duetto II and the Alex Duetto IV+. Both machines would be brand new, never used, but the Valexia is obviously 4 years older as far as manufacturing date. These two machines are fairly identical has far as features, build, and accessories. The Alex has more updates such as portafilter height, moving some internal components and switch locations.

The Valexia is on sale for ~$1K USD less than the Alex, which is a very compelling factor to consider.

My question: is it worth getting a 4 year old design in the Valexia? Am I not considering something? Am I compromising too much for $1K?
BTW, I can alleviate the portafilter height by getting an Izzo bottomless portafilter for ~$70.

Thanks.

LittleCoffee

#2: Post by LittleCoffee »

Hey there and welcome to HB.

I'm a big fan of my Izzo Duetto IV. A bit less so since I had to replace the boiler gaskets 2 years in, but overall after an incredible amount of (over!) deliberation Choosing an Espresso Machine Rationally. I reached the conclusion that for a DB E61 the Duetto was the best there was out there. I'd still buy it today without any hesitation.

I don't know much about the Valexia. I'm assuming it' the E61 Valexia rather than the Leva? If I had to guess, the Valexia is just a Duetto with different side panels, but that's a guess.

A bit strange to have a brand new 4 year old machine - are you sure it's really brand new? Machines generally age through thermal ageing and if the machine has spent 4 years at room temp (and sealed) I don't think it will be that different from the Duetto. So therefore it comes down to do you prefer the Duetto aesthetics or having $1k more in the bank account. Seems like a high class problem to me.

decurb7 (original poster)

#3: Post by decurb7 (original poster) »

Hi LittleCoffee,
Thanks for the feedback.
It is the E61 Valexia, not the Leva. And you are correct, the Valexia and Alex are very similar except for side panels and a few other updates that I listed for the Alex. And it is a brand new Valexia, I went to the store in NJ and saw it myself. The owner of the store had the reservoir filled and plugged in so I could see how it worked. They have two left from a shipment they received in 2019 and are trying to rid themselves of these last two. BTW, for the discounted price, the warranty on the machine is greatly reduced.

It seems that the store in NJ is the exclusive distributor for the Valexia and another store in NY is the distributor for the Alex. I guess Izzo didn't want one store carrying both models.

I'm having a little difficulty purchasing something that is 4 years old though. I know the savings are compelling, but am I spending less money on something that might need more repairs sooner, which won't be covered under the reduced warranty time?

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

No warranty past "ok, you got it and it ain't broke" would be concerning if not heavily discounted. E61 boxes are pretty robust. If not bad from the factory or damaged in shipping, they usually run without issue for the duration of a couple-year warranty. How much do you trust the dealers? Does one have a significantly better reputation than the other? Will one help you more five years down the road and save you on parts and time?

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Welcome to HB Bruce

I would recommend the Izzo Alex Duetto IV from Chris' Coffee hands down as the best DB E61 with the best tech support, advice and parts.

My personally experience with Chris' is that they always went well above and beyond what was expected with service, support and advice. That's something worth paying for!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

#6: Post by decurb7 (original poster) »

The Valexia is being sold by 1st Line Equipment in NJ, it only comes with a 30 day warranty. They seem reputable and have a very large warehouse and parts for repairs. What's good about this store is they are a little over an hour's drive for me. So if there was something I couldn't repair on my own, I could drive it to them and not have to pay for shipping.

The Alex is from Chris's Coffee in Latham, NY. (near Albany) Too far to drive to.

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

decurb7 wrote:First time post here.
For future reference, please don't cross-post your question here. See Why is cross-posting strongly discouraged? for the rationale behind this site policy. Contributors to this thread may wish to review the one on Reddit to avoid needless repetition. Thanks.
Jeff wrote:No warranty past "ok, you got it and it ain't broke" would be concerning if not heavily discounted.
What am I missing here? I see a two year warranty: https://www.1st-line.com/buy/izzo-valex ... o-machine/
Dan Kehn

Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

decurb7 wrote:BTW, for the discounted price, the warranty on the machine is greatly reduced.

[...]

it only comes with a 30 day warranty.

#9: Post by decurb7 (original poster) »

1st Line also has two machines they have a "Sidewalk Sale" on. You have to go to the store to pick up and pay cash. It's on their website also.

#10: Post by decurb7 (original poster) »

Apologies on the "cross-posting".
My bad!