$2000 Budget - Home Espresso/Grinder - Questions

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ikswosil

#1: Post by ikswosil »

I am currently targeting the Profitec Pro 300 + a grinder. Here are my issues:

- We regularly drink pour over and would like to be able to grind for french press as well .. currently have a Baratza Virtuoso, but looking to sell to offset money spent here... or should I just keep it as a dedicated grinder for pour over french press and focus grinder purchasing decision specifically for espresso and go with the Sette 270 Wi?

Is there another grinder out there for the $500-$600 range I am not thinking of that can "do everything" .. i.e. coarse enough for a french press but dialed-in well-enough for espresso? ... or am I dreaming?

In general, for a $2k budget, should I be considering something else entirely here? I feel like I've looked at just about every combination out there and seems like the most popular grinders right now are Niche Zero and Sette 270 Wi ....

As for machine, I love the Profitec Pro 300, but open to other recommendations there as well.

jgood

#2: Post by jgood »

I think two grinders -- one for press, one for espresso has a lot or merit --- rather than trying to toggle between two settings. In terms of espresso machine I would consider an E61 machine double boiler, if at all affordable. I believe the Profitec 300 is a "non standard" design for want of a better word and future parts availability could be a concern.

Advertisement
GregoryJ

#3: Post by GregoryJ »

From the Introduction to Espresso Grinders article: "The grinder is the single most important piece of coffee equipment you'll buy, and the last place you'd want to skimp."

If you get the Profitec Pro 300 for $1650 (closer to $1750 after tax) it only leaves $250-350. I'd recommend reducing the amount you spend on the machine so you can get a nicer grinder. I like the Niche Zero for single dosing, and I'm sure others can recommend how to optimize your spending on a hopper fed grinder. Even with a single-doser, I'd still keep the Virtuoso if you're making espresso and filter coffee every day.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by baristainzmking »

Welcome to HB,

If you are considering the Profitec Pro 300, you may want to look at Lelit Elizabeth. Shot timer, preinfusion, better steam power.

https://www.1st-line.com/buy/lelit-pl92 ... o-machine/

I second getting a Niche Zero and keeping the Virtuoso for pour-over and especially if you make French Press
Julia

dak

#5: Post by dak replying to baristainzmking »

I second the advice to look at the Elizabeth as a Pro300 alternative. To me this seems like one of the best machines in terms of features and value on the market today. From my experience with my Lelit Bianca, I can say Lelit puts a lot of thought into their machines and the preinfusion puts it ahead of the Pro300 in terms of extraction ability.

Also, if you are not interested in Milk drinks like Lattes and Cappuccinos, I would also look seriously into the Cafelat Robot. It makes amazing espresso at a fraction of the cost with a very manageable workflow.

As far as the grinder I would keep what you have for pour-over and get a dedicated grinder for espresso. I like my Eureka Mignon Specialita and obviously there are a lot of fans of the Niche Zero here on HB. I would also suggest if budget is an issue, you may want to consider the 1Zpresso hand grinders like the JE-plus / JX-pro, or the Kinu m47 series.

GregoryJ

#6: Post by GregoryJ »

As a BDB owner, I would of course push him toward the Breville Dual Boiler :) The Elizabeth looked pretty competitive when it came out for $1200, but now it's $1500 when the street price for the BDB is only $1000. Plus, the BDB out does it in the pressure profiling department.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by baristainzmking replying to GregoryJ »

I haven't seen a Breville DB for $1,000 since Costco stopped carrying it. $,1250 to $1499 is all I see anymore.
Julia

Advertisement
GregoryJ

#8: Post by GregoryJ replying to baristainzmking »

I haven't been watching the price too closely, Amazon had them for ~$1,000 in February. But it does look like the price is trending upwards!

TangyWasabi

#9: Post by TangyWasabi »

I'd have to second the BDB, I think it is an outstanding value for the money and on top of that, the aftermarket potential on it is impressive, to say the least. At a quick glance, I found the BDB for $1300 new on Seatle Coffee Gear which leaves $700 for a second grinder such as the niche or Sette 270wi.

DaveB

#10: Post by DaveB »

baristainzmking wrote:I haven't seen a Breville DB for $1,000 since Costco stopped carrying it. $,1250 to $1499 is all I see anymore.
Looks like the suggested retail price went up by $200 several months ago. I blame it on all of the favorable posts on HB! 8)
Von meinem iPhone gesendet