20 Amp espresso machine combined with Flojet pump

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
seeds

#1: Post by seeds »

If I plug a 20 amp espresso machine and a flojet pump into the same outlet, do you think it will trip the breaker when the pump has to run?

Also, does anyone have a recommended wifi timer that can handle a 20 amp load? I bought a TP-Link, which I was excited to use, but it seems it's max load is 15 amp.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

Just because an appliance needs a 20-amp circuit does not mean it draws 20-amps; it only means it draws more than 15-amps. A look at the specs in the espresso machine manual or on the plate should give you the needed info. Failing that, get yourself a kil-o-Watt or clamp-on ammeter to measure it. Add the draw from the espresso machine to that of the pump and away you go. It also depends on the pump. Some Flojets draw less than an amp at 120-volts, others more. Also, they are inductive loads, so for a brief moment when the start up, they draw more than the running current. Another factor is the panel breaker. As they age, the capacity of breakers begins to sag a bit. If your set-up draws close to the 20-amps and you have the odd breaker issue, changing to a new breaker may solve your problem.

seeds (original poster)

#3: Post by seeds (original poster) »

Thank you so much for the information. Looking closer at the manual, my machine is 14.8 Amps. I'm confident I can use the outlet and will attempt to use the timer I purchased.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Ryan what machine is this (that's just curiosity)? I have a recommendation for you to consider for the water alternative. But on the 20amp I agree with the above. I did have a Tripp 20 amp surge protector on my Vivaldi S1.

Consider something other that the flojet and use an accumulation tank as well. You will find the flojet cycling on an off quite a bit without one. When I was researching I read quite a few reports of the Flojet life being only 3 years.

Consider the following set up. I am moving from great CO water to crappy AZ water and will be using something like this for my Slayer with a water recipe.

Water holding tank (6 gal)>check valve>Aquatec Pump>Accumulator on a T>pressure regulator/valve>espresso machine

All connected with John Guest 3/8.

The pump I am most considering is :

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008GNFN82/

I have a list of items if you want email me with my username here at gmail.

Thanks.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart